Contemplating kitchen sink relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

legallyblonde

Reaction score
I am in the very early stages of a new construction in a master development community and have some questions about the feasibly and potential cost of a kitchen sink relocation from the island to the rear wall in front of three windows. We can’t make any changes to the layout until after it’s done being built unfortunately. The foundation is concrete slab with steel beam reinforcement, so I know it will be a pretty big/expensive project having to break into the concrete to add new pipes. But I don’t know if this is on the scale of a couple thousand, or over $5,000?

Below are some images of the situation (from another house already being built) and the layout with all the details that I know. I am not 100% sure where the island drain and vents run, but is is definitely away from the rear windows towards the garage. I tried to draw the image that was in the blueprint at the sales office showing the island vent system setup. The bathroom above the kitchen drains in the ceiling towards the garage as well before dropping down, so there are no drain pipes in the back of the house at all and we would have to run the drain under the slab towards the front of the house.

Given that the sink would be in front of counter-height windows….I don’t know how the draining and venting could work because the vent can’t go 6” above without going horizontal along the window. And can the drain travel 20 feet across the room before connecting to an existing drain or is that too far? Is there a way to connect it to the existing drain on the island (about 10 feet) so we don’t need to rip up a whole 20 feet of concrete? We will be speaking to a contractor soon hopefully, but I hope to have a sense of whether this is possible and a realistic price estimate ahead of time (nothing precise, just a couple thousand or 5 thousand plus?)

Layout - NOT TO SCALE

tlOsaIt.jpg

Island vent setup (windows where sink would move on the left):

ZLlqhGn.jpg

Windows where sink would go:

jonoIzp.jpg

This view is from the garage looking towards the back of the house showing some of the existing pipes (sorry for the weird angle).

N4SloYv.jpg

legallyblonde

Reaction score
job is way over 5 g.

How much over? Do you think it could go over 10k? This would be just for the plumbing - we already anticipate new cabinet and flooring expenses separately on top of this. So I know the “all in” would be more to change the kitchen, just trying to figure out incrementally what extra costs to expect from a sink relocation. Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
too many variables post tension slab might drive up costs, permits? if you have it gutted already and no worrys of dust and perfect access etc its cheaper , someplace where you cant get a truck on the same street is going to make it higher to name a few , but sure be ni9ce to hear what prices your coming up with

legallyblonde

Reaction score
too many variables post tension slab might drive up costs, permits? if you have it gutted already and no worrys of dust and perfect access etc its cheaper , someplace where you cant get a truck on the same street is going to make it higher to name a few , but sure be ni9ce to hear what prices your coming up with

Fortunately it is not actually post-tension slab, it just has the steal beams as reinforcement without tension. Still a hassle, but not as bad. There will definitely be needed permits, I will look into the costs for that. And we won't be living there yet, so no problem with dust or needing access to the home. I don't think there will be any access problems for trucks, it's a pretty normal residential area in SoCal. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it you just want to change the sink location and keep the island? It looks like you'll also need to change the windows and that might be able to do now. An option is to go outside with the drain pipe. Instead of raising havoc with cutting the slab and expense, the sink drain can go out at the bottom of the wall and then underground. Which way it goes it depends the location of the sewer pipe. One issue could be the slope. A 3" drain can be 1/8" per foot of slope. Simply 1 ft for every eight feet. Another issue can be venting, most areas accept AAV's but not everywhere. Also depending on the local jurisdiction, the dishwasher may need its own dedicated electric circuit. Getting hot and cold to that location is also a challenge and going over head might be an option.

Another is your countertops. If you go with quartz or granite, that is a big expense.

You have a nice layout of windows. Not sure why you want the sink moved but in my home the kitchen sink was on the island but it was a bar shape counter. Totally unattractive and non functional. We had it remodeled as a single height island and it works great. Fortunately, we had the space for a large one. It is just under 4' and just over 8'.

kbZc2sHK9t4X8gt4A7CqAH255oGOptKFZrWo3jO0o13q5LTW5CKBAqLz1qe6u15zyTaVczsV69w9_5g3smAVeejcSnYcdGL6eQgzwqNtNaGO0Cs7NIQkAA7dzZqTTZpwg3On8UvFvu33uVVrWjT_P-lD0JhFp28McuswLePwrDcHfL-y5IZuf4iSKA2JI-NjvqG8P-THh0xYUhS_cBFZmIHhvVpiQA3-eWhu_2vKJrYKO1MpuCOO58PMA_kkrfe7Qptm--ZjsN7hanPLuzKy3o0iQ6GCYBAHQJMV4vRVu-Rdm0d4vyjztSxReXJjHN50LsRwUEBdWFqpfu-kGNVU73L7G_doUIdQoUp86COMAYZE8OpBM8ar4j9yxSJukDVVZoaHOY7VPFX2dGxYD6PrahG5MC-S8ZpvqOl_9FtT9JKCW2j0Lq6YP2qNES2X8qCD_sud89rO10pS4wFCbEPvCOAU986yNEmP3xim0ME-4uLtpxHPQMxxSblT_PrXXyXcbCnHNv9aQpjjOYxkmTH2jZ7H4E7K9Gil9v-x6bI14D3ZUqktt1CXR_u31Jk3QK3b6cgOsDt2tpwgdJNFGB7CdU4ZAEsdXfL8G-9Vlfm14T7xzQuk1qcq64S9wVNIpi2fHzbwzRdnWnhwLQWjTqoR6tOalwFwrlRKqt1tEBZrg6y4DnMAMrlz8KBxX7ke=w1958-h1468-no

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Legally blond , makes things a little easier for all, with an empty house. good access , might even get original plumber to bid job, those tract house guys can be pretty competitive . I guess you can ball park 5 to 10 safely and start putting hard numbers together. keep us posted interesting project

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks