Contaminated well

Users who are viewing this thread

LCF

Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

2 years ago we needed to tap into one of our shallow wells in order to run a new water line to our greenhouse. With the help of this forum we got everything installed and it has been working great however I did make a big mistake that we are now dealing with.

The walls of the shallow well are concrete and after running the poly through the well wall I forgot to seal around the hole in the well casing. Now we have ecoli and total coliform in the water. I would like to fix this and have already taken a few steps.

I installed a UV sterilizer which is working as it should to kill everything off. I also purchased liquid pool bleach at 13% hypochlorite which I will use to treat the well.

I am going to drain the well and climb back inside on the ladder in an attempt to seal around the pipe.

What should I use to seal the pipe? Would hydraulic cement work? I can also excavate the outside of the pipe where it enters the well and seal it there as well, I just don't know what to use.

I should also say that in 2019 this well will be discontinued and used for irrigation only as we will be putting in a drilled well however I still want to address this issue so we can salvage this well as a backup in the event of drought years.

Any advice is appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hydraulic cement would need to be applied to the outside.

You might read up on
3M 05220 Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200,
green package theme

3M T Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 (week or so for complete cure)
blue package theme

These would probably be best outside, but if anything would work inside, maybe one of these would.

I am not a pro, and have no relevant experience.

LCF

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info. I ordered the 3M05220 and will try to get in there and seal it, and I will put hydraulic cement on the outside . Hopefully this solves the problem after a heavy bleaching.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you go into the outside, I would put some 3M05220 where pipe hits the concrete, and follow that with a big dose of hydraulic cement. That may be overkill, but I often like overkill.

Inside push the sealant into the crack. You may have to restrain it somehow.. tape? Nitrile gloves are useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCF
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks