Contaminated well water - Fix needed for all but drinking water

Users who are viewing this thread

Boyblue

Reaction score
I have a rental property with 12 units supplied by a shallow well. The waste goes into a septic tank with what we call a soakaway, which is a covered pit with no side walls that allows the water level to rise and fall with the tide. The well is more than 50' from any cesspit (what we call the septic tank and soakaway system) which is the minimum required by law, but somehow the water is contaminated.

Options are:

1) a drain well to replace the soakaway. The drain well will take waste water down 120 feet or more, to a level where there would be nothing seeping into the supply well, the cost of a drain well is $4,500.00. The added benefit of this option is that bi-monthly pumping [$170.00] would be virtually eliminated. The down side is, I am fairly certain that the contamination is coming from our well, but if it isn't then we will have spent $4,500.00 and not solved the problem.

2) We could deepen the supply well and case the top 15 feet (the depth of the current well) the layer known to be contaminated. This would avoid current contamination from all directions including any unknown wells in the area. This would cost only $1,000.00.

3) We could add a second well and draw from both or alternate between them.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't be pumping every 2 months regardless .
option 1 and option 2 5500 bucks but I'm in the USA you might not have to provide potable water in your country>
I'm assuming you can clean it up for 100 bucks by deepening and recasing as you said and this isn't a maybe it will clean up

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks