Consumer Reports August 2009 toilet report rates American Standard Champion 4 #1

Users who are viewing this thread

Interlodge

Reaction score
consumer report

I'm a consumer and this is my report. Doing a remodel last year and based on this forum used a ToTo Ultramax. It;s a little embarrassing when a family gets giddy over their toilet... I've replaced all the other toilets in that and a beach house with them just to keep everyone happy.
my opinion....worth the price

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm starting to get a rash of the AS 4's that I installed just a short time ago with them leaking through the towers.

This is far below their 10 year guarantee for reliability on that blue flush valve disc. The "cheat" is flipping it over and using the side that was originally up facing the tank lid. The true repair is replacing that disc, which will cost you $11 plus tax which is freaking retarded.

I'm going to tape record an "experience" with American Standard and see how many hoops I have to jump as 1. A normal Consumer, and 2. As a Plumber and see what I accomplish with both. SHA-BAM~! POW!~ WHA-CHING! DOINK!!!

EKDEAN

Reaction score
IBS suffer needs advice on which toilet to purchase

Hello All,

I am in the middle of a complete bathroom remodel. I thought my mind was made up on installing the Toto Aquia Dual Flush. I like the feature of dual flush (I live in the desert), and the sleek design on the outside of the toilet makes cleaning it easier. After reading CR 8/09 and a website dedicated to TOTO reviews, toilets that work dot com. confusion has set in.
My husband has sever IBS and cleaning the old toilet is a daily must, as fecal matter always clings, as it contains mucus. I'm not meaning to be gross or offensive, this is my reality. Please don't offer any advice on his diet, as that is not why I am here. I am seeking advice on What Brand and Model flushes down the bowl sides the best. Large solid waste is not the problem, nor is excessive toilet paper. A 2 piece toilet, water sense, 12" Rough in, under $500. Dual flush would be nice but not required, and my contractor/plumber has to worry about the install or modifications. Thank You for understanding this embarrassing problem and your professional thoughts/advice is much appreciated. You can reply here, however my e-mail is dean.elaine AT gmail.com. For spam purposes Replace the AT with @ and take out the spaces.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The TOTO Aquia dual flush uses "washdown"
It does rinse the bowl.
In your case, laying a square of two down first wouldn't hurt.

All 1.6 gallon toilets use less water for rinse, that's been the case since 1992

Of the TOTO Aquia dual flush toilets I have sold, I've had less then 1% returns in the last three years.

Of CR's top choice, the Gerber DF-21-318 dual flush, I've had 40% returns in the last year.

Last edited:

roundtuit

Reaction score
Two plus years ago I did my research, especially here, and decided to go with the dual-flush Toto (Aquia) with the button(s) on top. The 'box' stores all strongly tried to talk me out of it. I am so glad I went with my stubborn streak and put it in.

I noticed at the Solar Decathlon, which is held every other year, 2005, 2007, and soon in 2009 on the mall in Washington DC where schools from around the world compete for most energy efficient homes - every house I went in had that dual-flush Toto.

We have our own well and septic tank, so between drought and heavy rains you have to keep an eye on water usage. No problem with that Toto, and now we can flush it every time it's used at only 0.9 gallon. In fact, if you eat properly (higher fiber) you can usually just use the low flush.

However, we have oak subflooring and floor joists - the next time I'll take those six screws and go get 'harder, tempered' ones.

The elongated toilet is less than 1/2 inch longer than the round bowl it replace and it's a lot more comfortable. We hardly ever have trouble with 'staining' but I think you learn where to sit.

So thank you for being here and giving out helpful information.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I'm tired of replacing seals on the 4" flapper. To the dump this American Standard Champion 4 goes.
Way too much trouble with leaking flappers.

This time I'm going with a toilet made in the USA, a TOTO Ultramax.
as_champion_4_dump.jpg

American Standard Champion headed to the recycle dump.

Frustrated homeowner.
Seattle WA

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks