Construct new well, or UV treat existing?

Users who are viewing this thread

PK

Reaction score
I realized after posting my previous comment that it might sound argumentative, and I certainly didn't mean for it to be. I meant it as a sincere question without any bias intended.

I appreciate all the viewpoints and advice and am learning from all of them. Thanks for the input.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Apples to oranges. Removing the bacteria is a band-aid because preventing it from getting into the well should be the first recourse. There is nothing that you could do to prevent iron, sulfur, hardness, or other contaminants from entering the water so for those there is no other recourse.

Reach4

Reaction score
Apples to oranges. Removing the bacteria is a band-aid because preventing it from getting into the well should be the first recourse. There is nothing that you could do to prevent iron, sulfur, hardness, or other contaminants from entering the water so for those there is no other recourse.
He does not have iron, sulfur, or hardness with his current well, but he would with a new deep well. That is the tradeoff he is pointing out.

I wonder if some surface barrier, such as a concrete pad or even a plastic sheet, would keep the rain water out of the annular space around his well could help. Maybe even some land contouring could get the water flowing away and not being allowed to stand around the bore.

PK

Reaction score
He does not have iron, sulfur, or hardness with his current well, but he would with a new deep well. That is the tradeoff he is pointing out.

That's it exactly -- thanks for saying it better than I have.

akcooper9

Reaction score
How do you know you'll have iron, sulfur or hardness from a new well?

Example: Two houses down from me has iron bad but the neighbors on either side of me and including me have none...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
He does not have iron, sulfur, or hardness with his current well, but he would with a new deep well. That is the tradeoff he is pointing out...
That still does not change the fact that it is apples to oranges. Problems such as bacterial contamination should be mitigated as close as possible to their source. If you knowingly allow it into the aquifer, you risk contaminating neighboring wells and could be exposed to litigation.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at it from a buyers standpoint, would you buy a house with a known bacteria problem?

In this market, most buyers would say no.

I'd like to add that you have a moral obligation to plug that properly well. Once an aquifer becomes contaminated with bacteria it never goes away, and that can affect many people and their families.......

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks