Constipation Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The usual difference between a residential and commercial toilet is the building it is going into. I use the same ones for either application, although flushometer models are usually all commercial, except in some high rise apartment buildings.

PM5K

Reaction score
You might also want to consider continuing to use that toilet paper but throwing it in a trash can instead. I'd rather do that than to use something that's too thin to keep your hand clean. Just a suggestion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If someone wants cleanliness, then they should have a bidet seat.
Washing with water is the only way to go.
I don't rub my body down with a paper towel, I hop in the shower.

Stranger9

Reaction score
2-21-11, 10:47 PM CST, Continuing this thread of mine:

“Power-assist” and “washdown” technologies may be the answer for flushing “constipated-feces” successfully every time.

Power-assist may push the waste to 60’ versus 30’ for most other common technologies. Considering that the location of the inspection-window at my home is 60’ from the toilet, I assume that the drain is larger there to get the waste into the city sewage line without the problem. The concern with pressure-assist is if there is enough pressure to break/push the feces through the typical 2” trapway knowing that feces are impacted enough to be overly hard!

Therefore, washdown technology with 4” trapway of Coroma’s Sydney model may be the only answer! None of my wife’s stools have been as large and hard as the potatoes shown in the demo! But there may also be a concern with this technology! The concern is of collection of the waste in the drain line! Why? It is because the drain-opening at the flange on the floor has inside diameter of 4” in my house. I’m afraid that the little water used in these HET toilets may simply pass by after the washdown leaving the waste behind; thus, causing the collection of waste in the drain-line!

Does anyone out there has any experience of these concerns with both of these technologies?

Once again, I thank all of you for very valuable information you have been providing on this common problem for the purpose of helping a stranger and without expecting anything in return.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's farily common for waste to not make it all the way to the sewer on the first flush. As long as the line has the proper slope and no low spots, it really doesn't matter. Subsequent flushes, showers, washing machine uses, etc. move it along. A pressure assist and the other 'fast flush' technologies only give it an extra push that quickly peters out once it gets into that much larger line.

woodcycl

Reaction score
Family member with exceptionally hard and long stools -- New Toto Drake clogging

Hey there!

I've done a lot of research reading and re-reading posts on this forum over the past few months. One of our family members has a health issue whereby his stools are very large in diameter and very hard. Our original Mansfield contractor grade toilet would clog almost every other day and after nearly 3yrs of this, I finally Googled the problem and found this forum.

After all my research here, I chose the Toto Drake II in hopes of an improved (i.e. less clogs) toilet experience. All in all, we now only have approx. 1 clog per week w/ the Drake, but these clogs are much more difficult to unclog. I KNOW how to unclog a toilet after 3 yrs of (and have confirmed my method after reading a few posts here) unclogging our old Mansfield.

These clogs are harder to unclog however. To the point where our auger/snake (or whatever it is called) doesn't get the job done along with 15 minutes of solid plunging. This is what is happening tonight. I'm wore out. :(

I didn't choose the Caroma brand toilets due to the streaks/markings I've read about. But, now I wonder if I should have.

Bottom line, my wife and I simply need a toilet that works ... better or the best possible. At this point, we'd go up to $500 for the convenience. I understand there will be clogs now and then. And, our family member knows to ask before flushing just in case, etc. But, it still happens.

What should we do? Get a Caroma? And, put the Drake in our master bath? Is there another solution?

We really really appreciate your suggestions.

Signed,
All Plunged and Snaked Out ... :rolleyes:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
In your specific case, you should have gone with a caroma unit. They're not as nice looking as the Toto models, but the wider trapway would be better for your installation.

Did you install your drake with a kantleak flanged wax ring? If so, perhaps try re-installing the drake with a non-flanged wax ring and see if that solves the problem.

Schipperke

Reaction score
Sydney 305

I should have one in shortly , after one month with another brand, tonight makes 4 plunges. Heck , worse than the old American Standard I pitched.. I will say the one I'm replacing flushes water very well..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks