Constantly Running Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

RiverBank

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's my first post here, I don't know much about toilets but have to researching the parts of toilets and how they work the last couple days.
My toilet has been constantly running for the last about 2 years. I think it's recently been causing the toilet to sweat a lot so I want to fix it. It runs because the water keeps filling above the overflow tube.
I'm posting a picture of the toilet tank here. I was holding the handle down to see more clearly where the water comes into the tank from and figure out what is supposed to stop the water when the water rises enough. I saw it comes out from the two sides of the "fill valve"? (like one side shooting right into the wall/dark corner and the other side shooting towards the corner where the handle is attached except near the bottom of the tank)
But I couldn't figure out what the mechanism for stopping the water is. Is my toilet missing a part? It looked different to me from the pictures I've been seeing on the internet.

Please help,
Thanks!

IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like the fill valve below, adjusted for water height by the screw on top.

plumb-pak-k830-fill-valve.jpg

plumb-pak-k830-fill-valve-2.jpg

Counter Clockwise to lower water level

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Also adjust the refill hose so the clip holds its output higher than the overflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks