Constant Clog Kitchen Sink Plumbing...baffled

Users who are viewing this thread

younggarfield

Reaction score
Hi Plumbers,

Thank you for any insight you can offer

I have this kitchen sink where the horizonal pipe underneath is constantly clogged up with this sewage smelling debris despite hardly ever using the right side. At first I removed the horizontal pipe and cleaned it thinking it would fix the problem, but after about 3 months it would become clogged again. (I have done this several times already) I feel like the clog builds even when the sink isn't being used. After a while I would start to smell sewage smells coming up again.

Does anybody know why this is happening, perhaps there is a problem with the plumbing design? Is it possible that the sewage is coming through the drain pipe?

If it is a problem with plumbing design, which design do you suggest would be the best way to re-plumb this sink.

Thank you all in advance for your help

Kitchen Sink Image.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you use the garbage disposal some sludge may be getting hung up on the horizontal tail piece. Get into the habit of rinsing the right side sink out after using the garbage disposal.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The tee for the end out waste should have a baffle in it. If it doesn't then waste can flow into the horizontal line.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the horizontal is too low its below your trap arm . your waste was roughed in a little high and someone "tromboned" the p trap to allow it to connect. raise the tee as high as you can and cut a little off the tailpiece on the right side sink

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I run the waste out to a tee.

sink_dw_hot.jpg

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg

Disposers work well for about eight years. Then the blades get dull and it outputs food matter that is too large. Either replace disposers on a timely basis, or find yourself pulling traps and snaking drains. Me, I prefer newer disposers and leave the snaking to my neighbors that don't know this stuff.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I run them like Terry as well only when trap is too high not sure if yours is but its close. but on a normal house I don't see them ever plumbed that way, can't say why but its never done on new homes in so Cal .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will add that plumbing it like Terry's picture is common in other places though . never knew why we were different

Reach4

Reaction score
Re-piping with a straight "discharge tube" instead of the black curved one as suggested by Terry and Jeff would be better than the idea below.

With the way you have it, I think you could improve over what you have to raise the tube that clogs higher than the exit into the wall. This would involve
  1. shortening the curved discharge tube
  2. shortening the tailpiece of the right bowl.
In addition, I would consider reducing the depth of the trap seal. This may or may not call for shortening the output of the baffle tee. Actually, reducing the trap seal may be a side effect of the other things.

IMG_1.jpg

In addition, I would consider reducing the depth of the trap. This may or may not call for shortening the output of the baffle tee. Dimension A or B in the following picture is the trap seal. That should be between 2 and 4 inches, and during your changes you might be able to get closer to the middle of those two numbers.

Ignore the words on these reversible p-trap pictures. The lower one is not really improper.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks