Considerations for Burying Sump Pump PVC Drain Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Seawolf

Reaction score
Hi. I originally posted this query in the pump forum, but having received no responses after several hours, I've moved it here, where I hope for better coverage.

I have a small sump (<12" x 12" x 12") in my back yard. The previous home owner had the sump pump drain into the house's sewer main, which I've read is wrong.

Without the sump pump operating, my backyard and my garage flood during heavy rains.

I want to make it drain on the front sidewalk where the water would flow into the storm drains. This is what both my next-door neighbors do.

I plan on burying the 1 1/4" PVC in the ground (it is all lawn) from the pump to my front yard fence. The pvc outlet will then peek out of the front yard fence and drain onto the sidewalk. The pvc will probably run about 100' from the sump to the outlet. I cannot notice any grade, but I'm sure there is a minor uphill grade.

Are there any special considerations for burying the pvc? How deep? Can I just bury it in the dirt? I don't need to add anything underneath the pvc like gravel or sand, do I?

This is southern california. No freezing issues.

Thank you.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can bury it any way you want to, but the bigger issue is that the law usually prohibits dumping ANY discharge, such as swimming pools or pumps, onto the public streets. In fact, most laws prohibit dumping YOUR water anywhere off your property, which is why businesses normally have to make provision for storing any rainwater until it can be absorbed by the ground.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just because all of your neighbors are doing it doesn't make it right. You should check with the local authorities to make sure you do this legally.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would only bury that length of pipe in 3 or 4 inch diameter. Smaller pipe is too likely to plug and much harder to clean out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks