Connections Help

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
A86DEE6A-4F1B-4A3D-AA63-7E414862DCD5.jpeg 2F707553-C54C-4E43-BB72-33523AF8BDFF.jpeg

I want to see what my options are, or alternatives.

I installed this about five years ago, a simple 2.5 gallon point of use unit, I had to go from 3/4 down to 1/2 and I needed it at an angle and extended, I used galvanized pipe but in only five years it corodded badly, in my opinion.

The other part not shown from the cutoff to the tank is 3/4 braided stainless.

TIA.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It looks more like black iron pipe than it does galvanized. Why would you not just use copper? For short pieces like that, you could even use brass nipples, but for that you will pay more for.

It looks like that might be the gasket from the SS flex stuck in the end of the pipe?

PM5K

Reaction score
Yeah it is black iron. I guess thats all I could find the lengths in. Galvanized would have held
up better huh? Are there premade copper or would it be best and cheapest to sweat a setup together?

Amazingly Im pretty sure that is NOT the washer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Galvanized isn't a great choice in a potable water system, and plain black iron is even worse. There's dissolved oxygen in the water. Even galvanized is not plated after the threads are cut, so the ends are essentially black iron...iron rusts.

Use brass or copper, and it won't corrode like the iron stuff and probably outlast you, but at least the life of the POU water heater.

Black iron can work fine in a boiler system because it is a (or should be) sealed system...once all of the oxygen is bound up by rusting iron bits, the leftover water is pretty inert. Without oxygen, no rust can occur, so it can last. In a potable water system, the water is constantly supplying additional oxygen, so things will continually rust. It happens faster with hot water than cold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks