Connection Options for Buried Pitted Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt A

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm working one my rental properties and I want to install a plumber's loop and a shut off valve on my copper water main going into the house. Unfortunately the copper is buried and it is badly pitted. I'm assuming shark bite is out of the question....but I'm wondering can I get this clean enough to attempt solder, could I use compression? or maybe I should consider flare? I have not cut the pipe yet but I would assume the inside has got to be in better shape than the outside. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Just want to see what the pros would do in this situation.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
UPC only requires brazing under a slab. Your local rules may be different.
Propress is approved and I've pressed a fair amount of mildly pitted pipe, but depends upon degree of pitting...so emery cloth and look carefully.

Matt A

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies turns out I overestimated how much pitting. I sanded it with fresh emory cloth and it cleaned up like new. I decided to go with shark bite because of convenience then tape wrapped for burial. I may have to get to it in the future for future work.
Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks