Connecting Two wells- controls don't cut out properly

Users who are viewing this thread

flowerguy

Reaction score
I have two wells , deep well submersibles pumps (220V, 1/2hp) feeding a single 35gal pressure tank. Because the flow on each well is low (2gpm) I want to connect up both of them.

To do this I installed a Square D "pumptrol" with Low water cuttoff...feeding a check valve on each supply. These feed into the tank. The idea of the the seperate controls and check valves is so that if either of the wells run dry it will cut out and it can't be back-fed off the other well.

All was good until it goes to cut-off at the high pressure setting. At that point it clicks on and off repeatedly. If you hold the lever on the control you can feel it responding to surging water pressure.

I think what is happening is that the check valve is blocking the cushioning effect of the surge tank. When it cuts out ... the check valve slams shut and the water in supply (pump side) falls back enough to cause enough of a pressure drop to trip the pump back on ...and this goes on over and over.

Do I add a pressure tank on the supply side of each?
Get rid of the check valves and take my chances on burning out a pump when a well runs dry?
Put another check valve before the pressure switch to maintain pressure before and after the pressure switch?
Is there another way to connect them both up?

help :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wells

Move the check valves to the pipes ahead of the pumps. You may also have other conditions caused by the two pumps feeding as single system, but that is the first thing to do.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think HJ is seeing jet pumps (and there shouldn't be a check valve on the inlet to any jet pumps), and maybe they are but I see subs in the wells.

If I'm reading the order of things, submersible pumps, pressure switch, check valves and then tank. You need to move the switch to the tank tee (or side) of the check valves; where it belongs.

So help us out here and correct the type of pumps and your order of things so we see your system a bit clearer.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pumps

No, what I was seeing was shallow well pumps with the control on the pump separated from the tank by the check valve. But we do not know if he has one switch controlling both pumps, or if the switch(es) is isolated from the tank by the check valves.

Speedbump

Reaction score
No he said he had submersibles, two 1/2hp if I read it right. But I'm like y'all, I need the order of things to really see what's going on.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks