Connecting second story addition plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
First off, thanks to everyone who might help. I appreciate it.

I had a single story home with a bath on the main floor and in the basement. I've built an addition onto the side of the house that is two stories (the ground floor being a garage, above it a master bedroom with bath). I'm trying to figure out how to properly connect the addition's waste plumbing into the original DWV system.

First, in the original house under the main floor toilet I currently have the following:

old-house-toilet-plumbing.jpg

When the house was first built, the stack from the basement continued straight (cast iron) up through the roof. This PVC was put in later because they made the bathroom a bit bigger and wanted to move the toilet over a bit.

I'm not having any problems with this setup, so I am not inclined to fiddle with it, apart from whatever I should do to best make the connection to the addition. Of course, if something is just broken, I'd prefer to fix it now, since I intend to pull the floor up for this work (the photo above was taken with a cheap boroscope).

Can I do something like I've sketched below? If so, what type of fitting should I use to make the connection (the current DWV pipe is in blue, the new, unplanned branch is in black)? The addition bath group is over and up (6 feet horizontaly would get me out of the old house wall, then 10 feet up to the new bath). I'm expecting to vent the new drains through the addition roof. Do I need to be careful of anything in particular? Can I have *too* many vents? I'm not worried about a few extra bucks of PVC.
connecting-plan.jpg

Thank you very much for your help! I'm happy to learn and work, although I don't really have the right *vocabulary*, I'm afraid, to ask better questions. Thanks for your understanding! I've been studying several books on plumbing, but they tend to show "normal" situations or new plumbing, and I am smart enough to know that I could easily have no idea whether they applied to my situation. ;)

pax,
Scott

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Two things that I think are bad about my current setup: (1) the toilet drains to a sanitary tee in a horizontal position; (2) the 2" pipe venting the toilet runs
horizontally. Am I right that those should both be changed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks