Connecting PVC to Galvanized for Tub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

riggyk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So in continuation of my old-as-heck bathroom remodel, I've one more question for the plumbing gods. I've attached pictures for reference.... I appreciate any help here!

My old overflow drain was galvanized and ripped right out from corrosion when removing my cast iron tub. The galvanized trap connection is still connected but looks to be pretty corroded to me and I'd like to replace with PVC going into the galvanized union at the flow stack. The drain union at the flow stack looks fine to me, but I was curious as to whether there is a particular protocol for best results as it relates to connecting PVC to galvanized in this context? I can't find much unanimous information on Dr. Google. Can I put a male adapter PVC fitting right into the galvanized pipe or does this call for a special half PVC/half galvanized union type fitting? Want to get this one right!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Galvy Trap.jpg
    Galvy Trap.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Aerial View of galvy stack.jpg
    Aerial View of galvy stack.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 474

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should replace your p-trap at this time. You can cut back the galvanized pipe and use a Mission band for adding PVC pipe to the end.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Or perhaps unthread the galvanized and using a 1-1/2" Male adapter from the threaded fitting.
Galvanized doesn't last forever though.

riggyk

Reaction score
You should replace your p-trap at this time. You can cut back the galvanized pipe and use a Mission band for adding PVC pipe to the end.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Or perhaps unthread the galvanized and using a 1-1/2" Male adapter from the threaded fitting.
Galvanized doesn't last forever though.

Thanks Terry! Is there a HD Retail / Fernco type equivalent for this product or is the Mission band a MUST from say a supply house.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! Is there a HD Retail / Fernco type equivalent for this product
Probably. What are you trying to connect to what? 1.5 inch galvanized to 1.5 inch schedule 40 pvc (which are both the same OD) or what?

Reach4

Reaction score
black-fernco-rubber-fittings-p3000-150-64_145.jpg

P3000-150 to connect two pipes that are about 1.9 inch OD. This is what 1-1/2 inch schedule 40 galvanized or pvc or abs measure.

Lube with 50/50% dish soap and water.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't lube those fittings. The important part is the metal wrap that prevents the pipes from shifting over time. The all rubber couplings are a mess and not legal to use inside the structure.

riggyk

Reaction score
Guys, you've been incredibly helpful. I'm picking one of these guys up today and going to rough in my plumbing. Really, awesome of you to help out!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
fergusson "pro flow" and other brands are fine too Mission is just a brand

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks