Connecting new ABS to existing Lead Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

pmcint01

Reaction score
I know you can use a fernco no hub fitting to connect them, but the existing lead line was bent in a way that it has more of an oval shape and not round cross section. Would a fernco no hub, leak in this scenario?

Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm a bit scared of lead, but it will bend, and perhaps that's what needs to happen. Perhaps something round placed inside and rolled around to see if it can be made round.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
But if you reround the lead, is it strong enough in compression to use a Fernco banded coupling on? Or would the lead crumple before you got to 60 lb-in?

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
But if you reround the lead, is it strong enough in compression to use a Fernco banded coupling on? Or would the lead crumple before you got to 60 lb-in?

Cheers, Wayne

Maybe that's why I'm afraid to touch that stuff. Lead piping was before my time.
Where I grew up, when the homes get that old, they bulldoze them.

index.php

Last edited:

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a swage meant to make scrap brass tailpieces into solder extension pieces (am I dating myself?) that I have used to round lead. If the lead is in decent shape you could tap it into shape with a hammer holding a piece of pipe or similar inside. I always tapped a short (1" or so) flanged brass tailpiece inside the lead for support when the band is tightened.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks