connecting a diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome7

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a shower room with just a shower head + valve. I am adding an hand shower thus adding a diverter. I bought the Pfister 015-3WDX and read the instructional manual http://www.************.com/mediabase/specifications/pfister_015_3wdx_installation_818.pdf

On the figure 5, I am curious as why they suggest connecting the diverter inlet to the south outlet of the supply valve instead of the north outlet. It is easier to have a straight pipe from the north inlet. Is there a particular reason?

I was thinking of cutting the current pipe between my shower head and the supply valve about 18" above the valve and insert this diverter in there but the manual surprised me by showing that loop around and I wanted to check w/ the good pros here if there is a specific reason for such.

many thanks

Attachments

• diverter-plumbing.jpeg
    diverter-plumbing.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 389

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On many valves, if you use both the top and bottom outlets, you'd use something like a tub diverter. The two ports are not the same size...the lower one is full bore (or as big as they can make it to fill the tub fast), while the top outlet is smaller since all legal showerheads are limited to 2.5gpm max. So, since you may be requesting the full flow from the valve, you have to get it from the bottom port. Now, some valves can be inverted, and you can compensate by tweaking the cartridge which would put the larger port at the top and eliminate your issue. This is often done for 'back-to-back' installations, which may be described in the installation instructions as an option. It may not work, depending on how the trim attaches...

Jerome7

Reaction score
Thank you Jim. I wasn't aware of the different sizes. If that is the case, the diagram above would supply to the shower head more than the 2.5gpm limit.

My trim should work in the inverted mode. The cartridge is symmetric when it comes to attaching the shower trim.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shower port is NOT fed with a smaller opening because of the shower's gpm limitation. That is done in the shower head itself. The smaller port is to create a restriction so the shower does not drip when the tub is filling. I ALWAYS invert the valve, unless it has a design feature, such as Moen, to put the full outlet at the top. Then reverse the cartridge/core when I insert it. If that is not done, the water has to flow down against the plug and then go back up through the smaller opening. I have had several valves, usually Kohler, which have a buildup on the plug which shuts down the flow until I remove the plug, (often a major job in itself), and ream the opening clean.

Jerome7

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the orientation of the cartridge? Since my shower head is already connected to the North outlet of the supply valve, I am wondering if it is already inverted as you described. The south outlet is not used at all (there is a plug).

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably, but I do not know! The easiest way if the instructions don't tell you, is to insert it, and if it has hot/cold reversed, turn it around...you've got a 50-50 chance of getting it in the way you want the first time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The core/cartridge has Hot and Cold marked on it, but that does not apply if the pipes in the wall are reversed. Put it together, turn on the water heater, then check to see which way the handle points to get hot water from the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks