Connecting 10g AWG to GFI receptacle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
I am intending to run some circuits from a subpanel. For voltage drop purposes I will be using 10 gauge AWG. I was getting ready to pick up the GFIC receptacles and it struck me that they likely won't accept 10g AWG (or 10g won't fit correctly). How might I make that connection in a safe manner that will also fit in my box? I suppose a reducing butt connector could be used but that seems a bit gangly.

Sorry for the multiple posts but hadn't thought of this when I did my post yesterday.

Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check the spec sheet on the GFCI and get one that says it will take 10 AWG conductors, such as this one:

Cheers, Wayne

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
Well I'll be. There I went again assuming (that they wouldn't accept 10 gauge wire) and I should have known where that might get me. Sorry for not looking harder before posting but I do very much appreciate the help (again)!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't think you will find any receptical that will except 10 ga because its a 30 amp wire. Always use a gfi breaker or stranded wire with crimp on terminals. You probably won't be happy working with 10 ga in a standard box.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some good reasons to use a larger gauge wire than what may be called for as the minimum, and the OP wanted to minimize voltage drop. He was also shown a GFCI receptacle that specified it would work with 10-14g wire...yes, heavier gauge wire is more of a pain to bend back into the box, but that might be a reason to decide to use a deeper one than required, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks