Connect to steel shower drain in concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

ErikO

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here. I did some searching on this topic, but I am still unsure how to proceed on my shower drain.

I am replacing a bathtub with a tiled shower (using Kerdi foam pan and Kerdi PVC drain). I am unsure how to connect to the existing drain in the concrete slab (see photos attached). The existing drain is 2" (?) galvanized pipe (probably original to the house in 1958), so it is pretty corroded.

Should I cut the vertical pipe about 1" above the P trap and then use a rubber coupling to attach the new PVC drain?

Or should I cut the existing downstream of the P trap and use a rubber coupling to do a new P trap and connection to the shower drain?

I am a bit worried about how to fit this all in to the available vertical space.

Thanks so much for your time and help on this!

Attachments

• IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 291

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Replace the P-trap while your in there. You can use a rubber coupler to connect PVC to existing pipe.
The old trap is probably corroded by now - so save yourself some future grief and just replace it now. You may need to cut the hole a little bigger.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That piping looks like 1" 1/2. And is the standard size for a tub and shower drain not a shower only drain.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I too would encourage you to replace the trap. Just cut the drain pipe and transition to PVC using a banded coupling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks