Connect a light with 12 volt halogen and no inverter/transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

Detlefd

Reaction score
Hello
My wife bought a lamp which has 16 strengths and uses 12-volt halogen bulbs. I did not notice that there was no built-in transformer until, after connecting the lamp, I switched on the light after connecting, put the first halogen in the lamp, and turned it on. I blew up the bulb. I went to a supply store and they gave me a transformer, connected it between the lamp and the ceiling wires and again put 1 halogen bulb in the lamp which blew up too. I have no idea what the problem is. Is there anybody who could give me a hint?

There was a normal lamp connected before and that one worked fine.

Attachments

• 20201119_191405.jpg
    20201119_191405.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20201119_192134.jpg
    20201119_192134.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should work. Black and White wires go to power and blue go to the fixture, yes? Do you have a Multimeter? I would measure the output from the transformer and check that it is 12V or something close to it.

Detlefd

Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for your answer. I thought so too that this should work and bought a Multimeter but I am not really sure how to use it. In the position on the pic I tried to measure it and I think ( it was changing the whole time as it was hard to keep the 2 points connected with the wires) it was far from 12 volt. But as this is a new device I thought maybe I am doing something wrong.
AS you can guess from my writing, I am not a very good handyman but to me, this can be too difficult. (I thought)

Attachments

• 20201119_194454.jpg
    20201119_194454.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 189

Detlefd

Reaction score
BTW, can I stick the black/white wires in a socket and measure the volt then? That would be easier than trying the measure when the transformer is connected to the wire in the ceiling.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you get fingerprints on the glass of the bulb, it can cause it to break. Use a paper towel to handle the bulb.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you tried to measure voltage with the switch in the position shown, you probably blew the fuse in the meter...

To measure 12vdc, you'd want the pointer on the meter at about 10-o'clock, pointing to the '20' in the section with the V and a straight line over it. That stands for volts-dc, and the 20 = the maximum it could read on that scale.

To measure the input to the transformer (which would be your nominal 120-vac), you'd go to the position where the V has a wavy line over it, and select the 200-volt maximum scale.

If you don't know what you're doing, it will be very easy to be trying to apply 120-vac to the bulbs, and yes, they will blow up.

You can hurt yourself when playing with electricity.

If you want to test it, given your apparent skill and knowledge level, you might want to buy a repair plug, attach that to the input wires, and then plug it in. The black wire would go to the smaller plug blade, and the white wire would go to the larger one.

The better choice would be to solicit help from a friend or a pro that understands this.

Fitter30

Reaction score
240vac to 24vac transformer will give you 12vac on 120 vac. Have you measured your line voltage and secondary to see how close to 12vac?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello
My wife bought a lamp which has 16 strengths and uses 12-volt halogen bulbs. I did not notice that there was no built-in transformer until, after connecting the lamp, I switched on the light after connecting, put the first halogen in the lamp, and turned it on. I blew up the bulb. I went to a supply store and they gave me a transformer, connected it between the lamp and the ceiling wires and again put 1 halogen bulb in the lamp which blew up too. I have no idea what the problem is. Is there anybody who could give me a hint? There was a normal lamp connected before and that one worked fine.

The statement 16 "strengths" must have been a auto correction on a iPhone or iPad. This is a strange light fixture and I think the 16 lights strings need to be connected in series. That would put about 7.5 volts ac on each halogen. A halogen gives off a very white light and a little more half voltage the fixture would still give off a good amount of light times 16 lamps. Also the heat is crazy high for halogen lamps. The picture does show a typical 12v or 24v connector used for LED's tape lighting.

Was there any installation sheet with this fixture?
With the lamps in series a transformer is not needed. The transformer you purchased may not be large enough to handle the load if all the lamps were connected in parallel.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks