Connect 4" Horizontal Main to 2" Horizontal Shower/Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
I am trying to understand the proper connection for a 4" horizontal main to a 2" horizontal shower/tub line. There is about a 6 to 8 inch drop while at the same time transitioning from the 2" tub/shower into the 4" main. See photos of two options that I could come up with. Note the photo does not show the needed 2 x 10 perpendicular joist that will be installed, one on each side of the 4 inch main.

Option one is a 22.5 degree elbow with a combo T. The combo T would be installed at about 22.5 degrees.
IMG_20190604_183614 Crop.jpg

IMG_20190604_183535.jpg

Option two is a 90 degree elbow connected to a sanitary T. The Sanitary T would be pointed straight up.
IMG_20190604_183805 crop.jpg

IMG_20190604_183954.jpg
Are either of these options ok? One better than the other?

Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't use a santee on the waste line into the 4". The first picture with the combo is better.
Venting on the horizontal is supposed to be a wye or combo, but some places allow a santee for that. Your inspector should let you know which he will approve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks