Confusion on convection oven wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

SAVROOM

Reaction score
I acquired a never used Ikea (Whirpool) built in convection oven second hand. It's rated at 7.4 kW @ 240V. I calculated that to be 30.8 amps. What's confusing is that both the red and black hot wires coming off the oven are only 12awg, and the neutral 16awg. The mfg recommends a 40 amp breaker. What am I missing?

Stuff

Reaction score
Wires (conductors) in an appliance follow different rules. UL vs. NEC. Big thing is that they are in free air so can dissipate heat better so smaller can handle higher ampacities.

So an NM cable in wall will still require 8 gauge for 30.8 amp load / 40 amp breaker

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that any appliance wants to be able to draw it's design power from the supply lines. Not knowing how long those wires are, or how they are run, the codes specify a particular minimum wire gauge to ensure there's not an appreciable voltage drop at the maximum load possible based on both the wire size and the protection (typically either a fuse or a circuit breaker). If the wire size is too small, it will heat up, and the voltage will drop, neither one is a good proposition.

But, an appliance manufacturer knows how much power it will draw from that supply along with the expected voltage drops and temperature rise, and can then adjust the wires so that they will work in the appliance without issues. This often has the wires ending up smaller in an appliance than those feeding it. Think about a lamp cord...each one will have a maximum wattage that it can support, and that is based on the wire, switch, socket that are inside...those are almost never the same size as that feeding the receptacle it is plugged into, even if it is hard-wired. FWIW, you'll usually see the same thing on a water heater, or any other appliance. Bigger wires cost more, and may not buy you anything. But, you MUST ensure that your connections are made properly, as those can create heat and problems if they are not done right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks