Confusing wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

David B Galloway

Reaction score
I have a three Rainbird valve set up in the valve box. I have the bundle of wires coming from the controller attached to the valves properly. I have a set of two wires coming in the valve box separately and one of them is hooked to the common wires and the other is attached to one of the valves.

What do these wires go to? My valves are not able to be controlled by the controller.

David

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
All brands of controller wire up the same. Open up rainbird and depending on the model, open the cover to access the wiring or it is already ex[osed at the bottom. All irrigations valves work on 24 volts ac. Inside the controller there is the 24 volt transformer. Where the wires connect, usually on the terminal strip or part of a model, you'll see one terminal mark "C" for common. The other terminal will be marked 1-4 if it is a four zone module, some are three.

The valves are just two wires, one wire at each solenoid is connected to the "common" wire, usually white in color. The other side of the solenoids are wired to one (usually) black wire, these goes back to one of the modul terminals in the controller.

When nothing works, the transformer may have went bad but there would be no display. If there is a display and no battery back up, a bad common wire that may have been cut or chewed on by a varmint. Since your valve box is close buy to the controller, doubt full there is a cut. If you have plug in module, they also can go bad.

If you know how to use a voltmeter and have one. You need to check if there is 24 v ac. If there is then activate a zone and on that zone wire insid ethe controller there should be 24v between the common and the terminal.

What rainbird model do you have?

A very good help site for irrigation systems.
https://school.sprinklerwarehouse.com/?s=solenoid+wiring

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks