Confused: Ultramax vs. Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
Everywhere on this Love site there is much praise for the Toto Ultramax. What I don't understand is why does the Drake outperform the Ultramax in this MaP test?

Can someone explain why no one is falling over the Drake? Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If life were only about numbers, then yes, go for the numbers.
500 grams is all that is needed for the number though, and after that there are other considerations to think about.
What other things are you looking for besides the MaP number, and then we can answer that question.

Are you concerned with cleaning?
Repair?
Type of bowl rinse?
Installation ease?
A tank that is molded in and therefore does not move?
A seat that comes in the box?
What style are you looking for?
Factory quality control?

That being said, The Toto Drake is my biggest seller.
They are flying out the door right now.

You MaP pdf is getting pretty old. That one was done in 2007

Last edited:

Marjorie

Reaction score
Drake II vs. UltraMax II

Terry,

What do you mean by 'type of bowl rinse'? I thought they were both double cyclone. I too can't help but wonder if the Drake is a little better based on MaP. My understanding is they have pretty much the same features otherwise. It's so hard to decide.

Do you really find more repairs with 2-piece toilets?

Thanks for all your help!

Marjorie

If life were only about numbers, then yes, go for the numbers.
500 grams is all that is needed for the number though, and after that there are other considerations to think about.
What other things are you looking for besides the MaP number, and then we can answer that question.

Are you concerened with cleaning?
Repair?
Type of bowl rinse?
Installation ease?
A tank that is molded in and therefore does not move?
A seat that comes in the box?
What style are you looking for?
Factory quality control?

That being said, The Toto Drake is my biggest seller.
They are flying out the door right now.

You MaP pdf is getting pretty old. That one was done in 2007

4x15mph

Reaction score
I am also confused about these 2 choices. Add to that the fact that the Drake was selected by consumersearch.org as 1 of the top 3 toilets.

On the other hand, I would like the convenience of a 1 piece design. I read that the ultramax has some additional installation that is required that includes some sort of proprietary anchor. I am installing my toilet over tile and I really am hesitant of having to drill any additional holes into tile.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Neither the Drake or the Ultramax require anything special.
For the Ultramax, you pull it from the box, and stick it down on the wax. Done!

Consumer Search
Don't they just look at what others write and then copy it? Is it done by a "writer" or a plumber.
I've been plumbing since 1974, and since 1998 have been writing about, installing and repairing toilets pretty much 24/7, taking calls and emails from around the country on products and homeowner and plumbers questions.

For those that have thought about this before, if you have more parts to something, doesn't that mean that more can go wrong?
If you have to assemble something that has more parts, doesn't that mean it takes "more" time, not less.
If you have a connection that is more flexible and with more parts, is it more likely to fail in the future?
If an excellent toilet is 500 grams MaP, does it really matter if the number is bigger? What we are shooting for is moving "250" grams. If that is the case, then 500 grams is overkill. About the MaP test, I was using a one-piece Toto MS854114 toilet for two years that had been rated at 325 grams. No plugs in two years in a setting that was seeing a family during the week and 35 people on weekends.
Is the one-piece easier to keep clean? Yes.
Is the one-piece easier to install? Yes.
Is the one-piece less likely to need repairs in the future? Yes.
Is the one-piece likely to have urine between the tank and bowl, which then smells? Oh Hell no!

And you don't even need to be a plumber to figure that last one out.
Especially if you have men or boys in the household.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Reaction score
Marjorie, I know what I will do. Ultramax.

Terry, thank you. Great information

I really don't understand why all toilets wouldn't be 1 piece. It just seems to make a lot of sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks