CONFUSED! - Bathtub Overflow Installation - Does anyone know what this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

cjhusky

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing trim kits in my bathtub/shower combinations. But I'm severely struggling with the type of overflow assembly my plumber left me with as part of his rough-in. He has since left the area and is unreachable, so I'm reaching out to this forum, which has been incredibly helpful in the past to see if someone can help direct me.

I am familiar with two types of bathtub overflow assemblies, either center screw or two screws. In this instance, when I unscrew the test cap, I am left with a black ABS threaded connection at the tub (see photos below).

I must be missing something? It does not appear that this has anyway to attach your standard nickel/chrome/brass overflow trim piece. Is there some sort of aftermarket screw on assembly, which will allow me to mount a standard overflow plate and cover this up? Scratching my head here....

The only information I have is on the test cap itself, which is marked "AB&A".

Thanks in advance,
chris
Drain_2.jpgDrain_1.jpgDrain_3.jpg

cjhusky

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Jimbo!

I went to their site and looked at the cable-driven trim kits, but I'm still a bit confused. Is the cable already run as part of the rough-in, because it is certainly not visible nor can i feel it reaching in the overflow drain pipe. When I look at page 27, at say model 770, which is trim kit only, there is no cable. Is there any illustrations or instructions on how these buggers mount?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a cable drain, the cable HAS to be installed when the waste and overflow is assembled. It is NOT an "after the fact install with the trim" item. But, if it is there should be an operating mechanism visible which operates the cable. But what you probably need is one of the Classic trim kits with the "Classic overflow plate" which comes with either a coarse pipe thread or a fine thread, depending on which you have.

Last edited:

cjhusky

Reaction score
Thank HJ. That's exactly what I thought, in reference to the cable. There is certainly no cable visible, so I assume it must just be a classic drain overflow.

I believe they are coarse thread, as shown in the pic below. Looking at page 29 (screenshot below) of the ABA catalog, there are "classic" drain trim kits for fine thread and then pipe size. Is it safe to assume that "pipe size" is for coarse thread and that mine is coarse?

So the hope is that this will completely cover the black ABS portion INSIDE the tub and will screw down flush with the inside surface of the tub, is that correct?

Do folks order directly from ABA or is there a recommended outsourcer? Out here in the PacNW, I order through Pacific Plumbing and sometimes Ferguson. But an online order houise may be preferable for a smal item like this, if you have a suggestion.

Thanks again...you guys rock!!

-Chris

Drain_6.jpg

Drain_5.JPGDrain_6.jpg

Attachments

• Drain_4.jpg
    Drain_4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4,990

cjhusky

Reaction score
Thanks for looking. I searched the Watco site and it does not appear to be anything like what I have. I suspect it is AB&A, due to the test cap that came off. On hj's suggestion above, I went ahead and ordered a "classic' trim kit and i'll just have to see if it fits. It looks like the overflow trim is PLASTIC, though? I had assumed it threaded onto the overflow, but maybe not? Frankly, I'm still fully confused...:(

-Chris

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The coarse and fine thread references are to the drain flange which screw down into the tub shoe. The fitting at the overflow are all the same for that series.

PietjePuk

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The overflow for the bathtub only had a temporary cover installed (finishing the bathroom myself). If I look at the Watco and AB&B overflow covers they are threads only. As you can see in the picture mine has an O-ring and is not just threads. I have no idea what brand this could be. I purchased a Watco (901-LT-PVC-CP) and if I tighten the ring (item 13 from exploded view posted above) the actual cover doesn't fit (Item 14). I could cut off the O-ring and shorten it but I hate to modify it. Does anybody have any idea what the correct cover for this could be ?

edit: finally figured it out. the manufacturer is Keeney.

Last edited by a moderator:

leludallas

Reaction score
I know the original post is long dead but I came back to it many times because I have an overflow drain missing the cover that looks just like this and it took me forever to figure out - But it is an AB&B fitting - and desperate the threaded sides it actually just snaps on.

"AB&A 60108 Press-In Strainer with "Classic" Overflow Plate and Push eN Lift Stopper"

See YouTube video below to see installation.

Thought it might help someone in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks