Confused about mortar under tubs...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Charly, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Don't make big piles that you might tend picture for garbage bags. You want support over a big area, but you want easy expansion sideways during compression. That pretty calls for a pattern of separated piles, or strips.

Now if garbage bags were being used as if the were two sheets of plastic, that would be ok.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. seldomright

seldomright New Member

Thoughts on whether or not I should install ledger if using mud?

3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I use the ledger board. It helps for leveling too. That goes in level, I mark down from that to see if I will need to shim the apron, and then the mortar if used helps to make the tub feel solid.
    Sometimes if all conditions are perfect, the tub doesn't need anything. Other times, I might use some adhesive on the floor, and finally there are times when the gap is too large for those ways, and mortar is used.

4. seldomright

seldomright New Member

Thanks all, that's helpful.

5. MTy

MTy Member

Tomorrow I'm going to be setting my 30x60 Kholer underscore acrylic alcove tub. The tub is level but I plan to use mortar for support.

1. How many bags of mortar? I've got one but not sure if I need a second.

2. What consistency am I looking for in the mix?

3. How big should the piles be? A few large ones or a bunch of small ones?

4. Any other advice?

6. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Active Member

I feel like everything you asked is in this thread already.

That said, I would get more bags of mortar than you think you need. Ask me how I know this.

Consistency, as others have said I'm sure, is like moist sand, but more sandy than moist. You don't want a soupy consistency, you want it on the dry side.

The more area you have in contact with the mortar, the better. I did a large area on the end opposite of the drain and feeling like it wasn't enough after I set it, I laid down and shoved in more near the drain.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I normally use 1/2 bag of mortar.
    What size and how many depends on the space you are working with. More spots is always better, but not so much that the tub or shower won't drop down all the way to where you want it.

8. Procarp john

Procarp john In the Trades

I worked with a company that set alot of tubs, probably the most in the country. Inside scoop was over time they we're getting callbacks from squeaks or cracking noises. so we stopped using mortar and started using 20 minute hot mud, one bag.