Confirmation on bathroom layout (detailed layout provided)

Users who are viewing this thread

dantheboatman

Reaction score
My wife and I are remodeling a 1900 brick craftsman house room by room. My current project is adding a bathroom in our in an oversized laundry room above our cellar. I'm under IPC 2009 and have scoured the codes, but wanted to draw on the vast expertise of this group. Attached is an attempted 3-D layout of the bathroom (including pipe sizes and fittings). I'm working in a cellar with a furnace in the far back corner (where the cast iron turns the corner). There is an adjoining bathroom with a WC hooked into the cast iron (which is cemented through the cellar wall). I didn't add it for hopes of clarity. I've overlayed the 3-D on a previous iteration of a CAD layout of the bathroom. I've pulled a permit and hope to minimize the hassle for my inspector and myself.
Please let me know if you have any feedback.

My main concerns are:
1. Is my 2" vent between the WC and future lav (from adjoining Bathroom) adequate for the shower (given less than 8' of run from my trap to vertical as per IPC 906.1)?
2. Any problem to drop my 2" and 3" lines down to the main 4" waste on a 45deg angle
3. I've left a 2" stub for the future movement of my lav in the adjoining bathroom just downstream of the bathtub, any issues with leaving this capped?
4. (not shown in image) For the 2nd floor future bath I'm going to run a 3" line into a void above a shower (we have 10' ceilings) for future connection into that bath group. It will run about 8'-10' from the main stack and be capped. When we build the bath I'll vent it independently. Any problems here?
5. Any other concerns you have :)

Many thanks in advance,
Dan

Bathroom Layout.jpg

Last edited:

bcat491

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never posted before, however this seemed to be a good time. Your drawing is not completely clear to me, but I can offer some general advise. First, a 2" vent is always sufficient for a single fixture or even groups of fixtures in a single bathroom.Your drawing seems to indicate that you are planning to wet vent some fixtures. Wet venting can get complicated and it is something that you should discuss first with your inspector. I do it whenever possible; it saves time and material. And dropping at a 45 degree angle is fine. But, as drawn, your shower isn't correctly vented. Here the drawing gets a little confusing. Any vent has to be taken off before another drain ties into the line. You would have to vent the shower before the line for the future lav ties into it.

I can see what you are getting at and things will be fine. What you should do is talk to your inspector. I learned long ago that if I ask him how to do it and then do it that way, I'll probably pass the inspection. What you don't want to do is miserably fail your initial plumbing inspection. That will affect all future inspections.

dantheboatman

Reaction score
Thanks for the input bcat. I'll look into the wet venting multiple fixtures and work to talk to my inspector. All sorts of challenges working in a 113 year old house :)

dantheboatman

Reaction score
I took a couple photos to clarify the area in question. Everything is currently dry fit, so it can be changed.
Thanks for the replies!
Dan

Vent T and vent in HJ's question
P8170054.jpg

Zoomed back a bit showing tub trap and toiled bend too
P8170059.jpg

dantheboatman

Reaction score
Thanks Tom Sawyer, but that is a vent T that ties into the vent to the attic. I don't need a Wye for a vent connection, do I?
Dan

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
E problem there is that while you rolled the wye up 45 degrees, you then used a street bend and made the next section of vent flat. It can't be flat until it is at least 6" above the flood level rim of the fixtures served by the horizontal branch. Most inspectors will fail the sant-tee in that position.

dantheboatman

Reaction score
Spot on Tom Sawyer. I talked to my inspector this morning and confirmed that I'll need to either run a 1.5" dry vent up from my bathtub trap arm or use my future lavatory drain (in the adjoining bathroom) as a wet vent. He said I could leave the horizontal vent, but it will be redundant to the other.

dantheboatman

Reaction score
A final update. I went ahead and installed a wet vent up through the future lavatory drain, removed the horizontal vent, and passed my inspection with flying colors. Thanks for everyone's input!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks