Conduit Underground from House to Garage (+water)

Users who are viewing this thread

D C

Reaction score
I'm planning on running both electric and water to my detached garage, about 75-100' total run. I have a single 4" diameter hole in my basement wall that both feeds are going through. The electric will be 100-200 Amp (haven't decided) and the water will be a single 3/4" PEX line. It'll run beneath the frost line, so a min of 42" deep.

Since the cable is in underground conduit, it has to be installed as if it's a wet location anyhow, so can I run both the water pipe and electric supply through a single run of 4" PVC? and if yes, can that be Schedule 40 DWV?

Thanks
Dave

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the 4" PVC already in place or will you be trenching? Any electrical work in pipe must be rated for electric use. The gray PVC is and the white is not.

Stuff

Reaction score
Standard practice is not to even try to share a pipe. Both services can share the hole in the basement wall and share the trench all the way.

You can share a pipe but it is not considered conduit for the electric. UF would be ideal for what your are describing but you won't find it for 100 amp. MHF/USE would most likely be allowed but gets complicated to transition. Other option would be to add a 2" grey PVC conduit with THWN.

I assume you aren't going to have any bends otherwise it is near impossible to get a pipe in pipe.

While you are at it you should add a cat-5e cable for network and TV coax.

Reaction score
200amp is ENORMOUS. Will you be running a factory out there?

Most welders I have seen top out at 30amp, 240v. Do you expect to be running simultaneously more tools than that? A big tablesaw MIGHT need 20amp at 240v. But would you be running the tablesaw at the same time you are welding?

Unless you plan on charging an electric vehicle in there, you likely would get by with a 50amp service, which is a LOT cheaper in the wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks