Conduit or Not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Russell Lindberg

Reaction score
Hi. We are remodeling kitchen and I'm adding a double oven requiring a 240v/40AMP circuit. Luckily the back of the ovens backs up to the house-garage wall, and the breaker box is in the garage. I can easily run a new 8 gauge line from the box, up the wall, into the garage attic and over to the area of the kitchen. However, the second floor sits right above the kitchen, so top access to that wall is not available. Furthermore that outside wall has blown in cellulose insulation that is packed very tight, meaning that even if I could come in from the top I'm not sure I could fish a wire down. So, what I'd like to do is have the wire exit the ceiling in the garage (it is all finished BTW), right at the wall to the house (at the ceiling-wall corner) and run down the sheetrock right to where the oven backs up to it on the other side. It is an easy access and straight forward. However, I'm not sure what to do with the 8/3 Romex wire from the ceiling to where it will enter the house. I read conflicting information about conduit. Should I conduit it from the ceiling to the entry point? It is literally less than 6', but needs to have something shielding it or protecting it, and also for aesthetics. Thx.

Stuff

Reaction score
Worried about aesthetics in a garage? Then cut out a section of drywall and patch/paint afterwards.

Russell Lindberg

Reaction score
Worried about aesthetics in a garage? Then cut out a section of drywall and patch/paint afterwards.
Aesthetics are a distant concern, I'm more worried about the wire running up the wall, how to attach it, etc. Hence the conduit questions.

Stuff

Reaction score
EMT with plastic bushing at the top end. Cable needs secured within 12". Your choice to end conduit under ceiling or extend to attic.
Box or LB at the bottom. Only using for physical protection then 3/4" okay with 1" being easier for the bend into the wall.

Russell Lindberg

Reaction score
EMT with plastic bushing at the top end. Cable needs secured within 12". Your choice to end conduit under ceiling or extend to attic.
Box or LB at the bottom. Only using for physical protection then 3/4" okay with 1" being easier for the bend into the wall.
Thank you. This is perfect.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Another way, maybe easier. Mount 1/2"plywood about 6-8" wide down the garage wall where you want to run the 8-3. Anchor the wire to the plywood and drill through the wall to bring the cable to the double oven. Use firestop foam or fire rated caulking to fill the hole. Attached 2x2 boards to the plywood on both sides of the cable. Cap of the void with drywall or plywood. As you said, it's only the garage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks