conductor length

Users who are viewing this thread

Al G.

Reaction score
I know conductors have to be long enough to extend 6" beyond the face of the wall box. Is that measured on the conductors entering the box or does it include the pigtails added for connection to the devices?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
6 inches from the entry of the box and at least 3 inches on the outside of the box. Pig tails don’t count for or against this requirement

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was 6" outside the box.

300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points.

At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.

Exception: Conductors that are not spliced or terminated at the outlet, junction, or switch point shall not be required to comply with 300.14.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks