Condo. Main shut off. A screw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron18

Reaction score
I went over to a friends condo to repair a leaking faucet. No under sink shut off valve.

Couldn't find main shut off.

Under the sink there is a copper pipe sticking out horizontally about 4 or 5 inches. I shined a flashlight down it and there is a slotted screw at the end. My friend 'thinks' this may be where it was shut off before.

Naive question but I don't want to break anything or start a flood I can't stop.

Do I simply stick a slotted screwdriver down the copper pipe and turn the screw to the left? This will shut off water to the condo? Is it normal for there not to be a valve to hand turn off? I'd guess the building was built in the mid 70's or so.

Thanks so much

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would talk to someone there that was worked on plumbing. What you describe is a bit strange.
If you can turn it with a screwdriver without much effort then it may be worth trying. Just don't muscle it.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is a shutoff, I suspect turning right (CW) would be off.

Aaron18

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go back and give it a try.

What I've learned reading this site is simple measures save a lot of future issues. It's not that things won't go wrong but when they do that proper installation of plumbing makes repairs so much easier.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"proper installation" has a price, and many builders prefer to do it the "quick and dirty" way, which is also cheaper. They only worry about the next one year or so, NOT the 'future issues".

JayAre1990

Reaction score
Im in Alberta and what you described is pretty common in apartments and hotels. Usually theres two valves like you described with either a slot head or a square that you use a key to turn off the hot and cold water to the unit. The issue with the slotted head valves is that when they're really old you usually end up breaking the slot in them because they're so hard to turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks