Conditioner not a softner

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I would prefer a whole house conditioner, leaving the hard water,but reducing or greatly eliminating scale. And maybe adding a point of use filter under the kitchen sink. any recommendations

David Isom

Reaction score
Hi, we have been doing this for around 7 years and in practice it has been very good overall. We have reduced calcium build up in our system by around 80/90%. This has been achieved by dosing our water with a powder that is food grade and just 3ozs is enough to treat 7000 gallons. We then use commercial grade coffee filters at our drinking water taps and one of these treats around 1500 gallons. We are in Europe so I would guess you need to find alternative manufactures . I have attached photos of what we use

Attachments

• 1B77D364-7C7B-47A0-AA25-EB4CA4A7A604.jpeg
    1B77D364-7C7B-47A0-AA25-EB4CA4A7A604.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 163
  • BB72D608-A640-4B74-8147-754BDBCAE1B2.jpeg
    BB72D608-A640-4B74-8147-754BDBCAE1B2.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 163
  • C76E37B6-98CE-4EAB-AC6D-281ACC3BB13A.jpeg
    C76E37B6-98CE-4EAB-AC6D-281ACC3BB13A.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 171

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you want true consistent scale reduction then a softener is your best choice. Water conditioners tend to be very hit and miss. We manufacture dozens of different technologies, none come close to the capabilities of a traditional softener. The vast majority of people who work in this industry use true softeners at their own house even though they market and promote salt free technologies. Be very wary of claims that the technology is proven in Germany, or has "certified" claims of 98% scale reduction. Most of these claims are not exactly true.

David Isom

Reaction score
If you want true consistent scale reduction then a softener is your best choice. Water conditioners tend to be very hit and miss. We manufacture dozens of different technologies, none come close to the capabilities of a traditional softener. The vast majority of people who work in this industry use true softeners at their own house even though they market and promote salt free technologies. Be very wary of claims that the technology is proven in Germany, or has "certified" claims of 98% scale reduction. Most of these claims are not exactly true.
I can honestly say that the polyphosphate powder really really does inhibit scale formation considerably. Out water is around 18/20 gpm and we were sceptical. It does nothing however to reduce the hardness just dramatically reduces scale from forming .

It does not require much effort or cost to install so if someone really does not want soft water just to reduce scale it well worth considering as a first move . The only other caveat is that we are on city water and therefore don’t have any other nasties to worry about.

David

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Polyphosphate is semi effective but how is it controlled? In general, the traditional filtration methods tend to massively overdose when the water has been sitting in the filter system overnight, and then completely underdose when water is flowing at higher rates. A properly designed metered injection system is the most common way of getting a proper and consistent dosing. We use this system design extensively on larger buildings where softening is not practical or cost effective. Apartment complexes and many commercial applications use polyphosphate injection instead of softening. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/142-143

David Isom

Reaction score
Polyphosphate is semi effective but how is it controlled? In general, the traditional filtration methods tend to massively overdose when the water has been sitting in the filter system overnight, and then completely underdose when water is flowing at higher rates. A properly designed metered injection system is the most common way of getting a proper and consistent dosing. We use this system design extensively on larger buildings where softening is not practical or cost effective. Apartment complexes and many commercial applications use polyphosphate injection instead of softening. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/142-143
I am not a water expert. However I am a real user that has a good technical background . I only offer my personal experience after using for seven plus years . As I have already said it has proven to be extremely effective in our situation at reducing scale formation. We are lucky in that we can now afford to purchase a softener which has many more benefits and are looking forward to them. David

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, hey Ditto, what's a good mid range softener for single family residence, west central Florida, municipal water supply.

And what can be used point of use under the kitchen sink to reduce or remove the sodium

David Isom

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, hey Ditto, what's a good mid range softener for single family residence, west central Florida, municipal water supply.

And what can be used point of use under the kitchen sink to reduce or remove the sodium

Hi, so have you decided to go for a softener and not a scale inhibitor ? My understanding is if your water is not exceptionally hard and containing a high sodium content to start with that it’s fine for drinking. It you do want to filter out sodium you’ll need a reverse osmosis system under sink.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks