Condenser fan motor

Users who are viewing this thread

Giwatcher

Reaction score
My condenser fan motor failed.
1) Is it ok to change an open frame body to a closed frame? The universals all seem to be closed. Specs are compatible.
2) The shaft is longer than the original. If it still fits, does the excess beyond the blade need to be cut off? I have heard that several inches beyond the final blade position strains the motor and increase heat and amp draw.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What model is it?

Have you tried the capacitor. Usually it is a three blade cap. One is lead is a common, another for the compressor and the other for the fan motor. The top of the cap should be flat, not bulging.

If the spec are the same it'll will be ok, sometimes the mounting is different that can make it a PIA. The shaft length doesn't matter as long as it doesn't need to go beyond the top of the grate. Place the fan at about the same distance in the unit as the old one. Not sure where you heard that it can strain the motor.

google "condenser fan motor rotation". They are lots of tips out there. what is important is the cap size needed for the new motor. It may not match you original motor.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Cutting the shaft or not doesn't matter as long doesn't hit anything. Aftermarket motors have to have the exact same or more amp draw of the original even if its .1 amp less. Dont go by hp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks