Condensation pump secondary runoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregg Thomas

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and hoping that I am posting to the correct area.
Looking for some help / advice.

About 11 months ago we had a plumber come to our house to re-run some copper tubing piping from our condensation pump since the copper was beginning to fail in different areas every couple weeks. Its my understanding that condensation water will eventually rot the copper pipe and that certainly seems to be what happened.
So, they ran a new flexible hose and replaced the condensation pump as well. Attached is a picture of how they set this up. The pipe that runs towards the ground is where the old condensation pump used to sit on the ground. no problems with that system for 8 years, should have left it alone lol!
apparently the main condensation pipe run to the pump and the trap became clogged in the last couple of days. The secondary pipe (where the old pump used to be) runs to my basement floor! There are no drains of any kind near the furnace, they simply left the secondary to run onto the basement floor.

We just had finished rebuilding our basement from a flood 2 years ago and paid for new carpet 2 months ago. That carpet was now ripped up last night since the water running out of the pump filled the utility room and made its way under the walls and into our newly carpeted basement.
Not looking to disparage anyone and I know there are a lot of good plumbers out there. Also, I dont mind paying for good quality service. But since the system was spilling water out the secondary, we had to call when it happened which was last night on a Friday. The group that installed the pump explained to me their emergency rates and every reason that this is not their fault. I dont mind paying something but i also have to now pony up for new carpeting.
In my opinion this should never have been run to drain to our basement floor. There is no alarm, switch of overflow pan of any kind although the pumps do have their own switch / alarm which was not hooked up.

Am I crazy for thinking they screwed up here and should at least not bang me for the emergency rates?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gregg
IMG_20150731_200942866.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks