Condensation on basement pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
Just moved in so seeing lots of new situations...

In basement I saw a few copper pipes that had some condensation...little drips of water coming off them. I had all the windows in the basement closed but did open one window. It was very hot and humid just outside of Boston. Does that sound right? Why were some pipes dripping a bit while others weren't? And should I keep the basement closed and run the humidifier or open all the windows?

Speedbump

Reaction score
The reason some were dripping was that water was run through those pipes recently. The cold water is what starts the dripping. You could use Pipe Wrap to insulate them. That would stop the dripping.

bob...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are several comments to be made here.

Water will condense on pipes when the dew point temperature is at or above the temperature of the water in the pipes. Water condensing on some pipes and not others indicates that wate is being used on those lines. The incoming water in those pipes has not warmed to room temperature. Sometimes this can also indicate water leaking such as a running toilet or, leaking faucet. Make sure that you are not wasting water!

Insulating the pipes can help prevent or, limit condensation.

Water condensing on pipes is an indicator of very high humidity. I would suggest closing up the basement and running a dehumidifier to prevent mold and mildew.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
i have the same issue

So i have the same issues - i just thermal wrapped the outer basement walls and there seems to be condensation on the cold pipes (not insulated)- if i wrap said pipes (cold) & (hot just to help keep the hot water warm)- what are the chances of water gathering within the wraps inner wall and the copper pipes outer wall?

Is there any danger of:

corrosion
mold
leaks

thanks in adavance novicepiper

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Insulation creates a dead air space. This air will not have the moisture content to condense... The insulation keeps new moisture laden air from reaching the pipe to condense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks