Condensate tubing into 4" PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I have a boiler's condensate tubing and an HVAC air handler's condensate tubing that I need to tie into my 4" PVC drain.

The boiler's condensate will go through a neutralizer and then come out in clear, flexible tubing such as the one pictured below.

The air handler's condensate comes out via 3/4" PVC pipe.

I have a 4" PVC main drain nearby.

What is the best way to tie these condensate drains into the main drain?

Thank you!

sanicondens-best.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The 4" main drain? Is this the main stack to the sewer or a 4" floor drain? If it's the main sewer line is it vertical or horizontal where you want to connect to?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my way, is with a trap standpipe and vented. some people put an AAV so they don't need to run a vent but I prefer to connect to a vent if possible nearby

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a washing machine standpipe nearby or within pumping range of the things you want to drain? Running it there, or in a similar standpipe as suggested, is the best choice. If the things don't run all year long, you would need to maybe provide a trap primer to prevent sewer gasses from escaping if the trap dried out.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Aav above flood rim preferred. Cutting the wye in will require at least one no hub band. Drains need an air gap. Trap primer dependant on run time seasons.

Attachments

• 16327484399857312547143893584297.jpg
    16327484399857312547143893584297.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 179

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I took some pictures of what I have -- I'm hoping they will clarify for you all so you all can clarify for me what the best way of doing this would be.

Yes, a washer/dryer will be in the basement also (see pic).

Attachments

• IMG_2259.JPEG
    IMG_2259.JPEG
    118.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2260.JPEG
    IMG_2260.JPEG
    115.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2261.JPEG
    IMG_2261.JPEG
    117.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2262.JPEG
    IMG_2262.JPEG
    110.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2263.JPEG
    IMG_2263.JPEG
    116.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2264.JPEG
    IMG_2264.JPEG
    122.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2265.JPEG
    IMG_2265.JPEG
    102.6 KB · Views: 155

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I think I understand what to do -- cut in a 4x4x2 wye, go vertical up to an AAV and cut into the vertical with a san-tee that is connected to a trap.

2 questions:

1) Does the height of the existing 4" present a problem for washing machine drain?
2) What exactly is the piece circled in red? Is it just an open type catch basic into which I can feed the wash machine drain hose, the HVAC 3/4" PVC and the boiler clear flexible tubing?

upload_2021-9-29_7-13-25.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I understand what to do -- cut in a 4x4x2 wye, go vertical up to an AAV and cut into the vertical with a san-tee that is connected to a trap.

2 questions:

1) Does the height of the existing 4" present a problem for washing machine drain?
2) What exactly is the piece circled in red? Is it just an open type catch basic into which I can feed the wash machine drain hose, the HVAC 3/4" PVC and the boiler clear flexible tubing?

View attachment 77153
I have it labeled. Its a reducer/increaser. You wouldn't be able to drain the washingmachine into it unless you build the whole assembly as 2" pipe. In which case you wouldwant a 2"x4" increaser.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Commonly called a bell reducer. My drawing has a 1.5 " trap . If you want to drain a washing machine (that part i didnt catch). You need a 2" trap. Then use the bell reducer to catch the other drains and give you a bigger target to hit across the airgap.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.PNG
    IMG_1118.PNG
    133.7 KB · Views: 156

Reach4

Reaction score
Most washing machine drain lines are rated to pump 96 inches (8 ft) above the floor. They sell extenders, because the included hoses are not that long.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's this product, which I understand can clip on the edge of a 2" standpipe and leave enough room for the washing machine drain hose u-bend to still fit. Not sure if 2 of them plus the washing machine drain hose would fit. But you could glue a wye fitting and two barb fittings to the top inlet, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Plumb-Pak-PP855-69-Standpipes-Grey/dp/B00FKJNVAC

Cheers, Wayne

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Got it -- thank you all very much.

The solution raises another question for me:

Do any or all of these drains require an air gap (clothes washing machine, boiler, hvac air handler)?

Also (sorry for the very basic questions), if there's an air gap and there's a clog further along in the sewer pipe, wouldn't the sewage escape into my basement from the air gap? How does everyone prevent a nasty situation?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do any or all of these drains require an air gap (clothes washing machine, boiler, hvac air handler)?
Washing machine is special, and its like it has its own air gap built in. So no.
Boiler? I would think yes.
hvac air handler? No' it's not hooked to the potable water system.

Also (sorry for the very basic questions), if there's an air gap and there's a clog further along in the sewer pipe, wouldn't the sewage escape into my basement from the air gap? How does everyone prevent a nasty situation?
That is what they want -- flood your floor, rather than letting sewage get sucked up. They have their priorities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks