Condensate pump drain material

Users who are viewing this thread

Zayd

Reaction score
A quick question for the folks here.

As I plan for drywall in the basement and contemplating what will no longer be accessible, I'm looking at the condensate drain line. Right now, it is flexible clear vinyl tubing running through some hooks nailed into the rafters. I'm thinking to recreate it in 1/2" PVC and route it about 30' along the wall to the sump pit. My rationale is that if I leave it as vinyl, I'll worry about the vinyl pinching or breaking down over time behind the drywall.

Is 1/2" PVC a suitable choice for the condensate drain? I've checked Michigan codes but am not seeing anything that speaks specifically to this.

Thank you.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes I would use the 1/2" pvc, but you want to make sure it flows downward, use (2)
45's in place of a 90 whenever possible

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Minimum condensate drain line size is 3/4". Yes replace it with 3/4" pvc. You'll want some kind of access to clean it. Usually near the unit there's a trap, then a tee this helps with venting and provides access to clean if necessary. Having a pump could change the rational here. You probably don't want an open tee as you normally would have. But one that has a threaded plug could be useful.

Zayd

Reaction score
Thank you, MACPLUMB and John.

John, my current setup is actually 3/8" ID vinyl tubing from the pump all the way to the sump pit:

IMG_7599.JPG

I wonder why code calls for 3/4"... especially since that just means there will be more water sitting on the "uphill" side of the discharge waiting to hit the "downhill" side of the drain run. I suppose since the pump's 3/8" barbed discharge port is also a check valve, it doesn't really matter.

Either way, glad the PVC approach will work. I'll plan to run a short length of vinyl tubing from the pump to a barbed adapter for the PVC (I hope they make those), then the PVC run itself, then another barbed adapter at the sump to allow easy removal of the tubing for servicing.

Thank you for the quick answer on this.

Zayd

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks