Condensate neutralizer kits

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
As far as I know, all neutralizer kits are just sealed containers full of chemical pellets. If there are other types, please let me know. Questions:

1. Do they flow well under just gravity or do they need the water pressure provided by a condensate pump? In other words, will they work with a furnace that drains into a nearby floor drain without a condensate pump? Or will the water back up?

2. Does anyone make a condensate pump that has an integral neutralizer kit? So as to not need a separate device?

3. If you use a very large neutralizer (meaning one that holds a large quantity of pellets), do the pellets last that much longer or do they "over-neutralize" the water? Meaning turning it alkaline.

4. Does anyone know of a US manufacturer of neutralizer kits that has a good tech support line so I can ask these types of questions?

Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
They run by gravity just fine, but there should be some head pressure. Meaning the height of the condensate outlet on the appliance should be a foot or two above the neutralizer chamber this makes it less likley to back up. Also an overflow is built into the piping so backing up into the appliance isn't really possible.

Pretty sure the chemicals your talking about is just limestone rocks and anyone spittle be able to just make one if they wanted.

Your other questions I'm not sure on.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Ok, I did find several manufacturers who combine the condensate pump and neutralizer chamber. Also found an additional question.
As far as the media, it appears that magnesium oxide and hydroxide offer better performance than calcium carbonate, but I'm still looking for some objective data, not just sales pitches. Some manufacturers offer proprietary pellets, will have to find out what those are.

Reaction score
Hi, I had a Navien neutralizer kit for the Navien boiler I had. It got clogged up and just backed up water and dripped water all over the place. My boiler expert installed a 2 in one neutralizer and condensate pump combo. I wanted a condensate pump since there was just not enough space for the boiler to gravity drain properly the discharge. He went with an NT-1 Neutrapump. At this time it's doing what I need it to do. I opened another thread on how to keep the discharge vinyl tubing clean. This discharge is high-efficiency wastewater and really needs to be neutralized or it will cause damage to pipes and equipment. The media is what came with the pump. If you pick a better media you might want to do a PH test on the water to see if it is up to your liking.

gnelson

Reaction score
I just replaced a Rinnai non condensing tankless water heater with a Navien condensing unit. The condensate flows through pvc and is connected to the relief valve piping through a tee and discharges outside to a gravel area. There are no plants nearby. I was thinking I could add limestone chips to the gravel area rather than adding a condensate neutralizer. Does this seem feasible?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks