Condensate line still draining after cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Kizmazz

Reaction score
We have a two story house and had the AC & Heating unit replaced. About an hour later water came crashing through the ceiling into the living room on my Wife's favorite chair. Lol
They came back and used a high pressure air tank to blow out the line which went into the trap in the upstairs bathroom and lots of stuff came out. He cut a piece of the PVC line in half to see if the line was gunned up which it wasn't. Using a flashlight We could see water draining into the trap and thought it was fixed. The line goes across the attic and to the outside. It started dripping outside at a fairly hood pace, it fills a five gallon bucket over a 24 hour period. He checked the charge and it was correct. They even sent out another CREW to check the guy's work and thought it was ok after blowing out the line again with no gunk coming out.
Anyone have any thoughts on how this could be corrected ? I would appreciate it so it could be corrected and my wife can put her furniture back into the room.

Thanks!
Ron

Reach4

Reaction score
Of course the AC is runnng it's Summertime and Hot. The previous unit did not have water running out the overflow condensate line. The pan has a float switch on it.
So you should expect condensate to run out of the condensate line.

Reach4

Reaction score
So the overflow line will always produce water when AC running? It didn't with previous AC unit
Are you implying that water is coming out of an overflow rather than the condensate line. That would indicate a problem.

So to be explicitly clear, are you saying have two separate condensate lines coming from your condenser? One is the condensate line, which should be dripping water, but it is not, or at least not as much as it should. And you have another line that handles overflow separately? I am not familiar an AC that does that.

Or are you saying that you have a single condensate line coming from the AC condenser that is dripping water, and you did not notice the previous unit dripping water?

Condensate dripping is normal. Maybe the old install was running the condensate elsewhere.

Kizmazz

Reaction score
Yes we have the main drain that goes to the trap in the sink. We also have the overflow drain that is a pvc pipe that comes out of the back of the house. This is the one that is running all the time. They installed an over flow switch. No one has figured it out yet. The unit is less than a year old so the coils shouldn't be bad. Could the pan be bent and it's running the wrong way ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The upper outlet is an emergency backup. It should NOT have water coming out of it normally. The main drain line is plugged and needs to be cleaned out. It could be in the coil drain pan inside, in the pan, the trap, or anywhere along the way.

Slime, sludge, fungi, etc. can grow in that moist/wet environment. I had a tuberous woody thing grow in my outlet once, and then things overflowed. It was really tough to get out. YOu could not have blown it out - I had to dig it out in pieces once I located the problem. There's a lot of air that goes over the coils, and some of the crud isn't stopped by the filter, allowing it to get into the moisture, and if the conditions are right, grow. Some of those things can be really strange.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What does the "overflow switch" do? If the air is humid, the condensate line will discharge water. If the condensate line is plugged, or improperly installed, then the condensate will flow into the overflow/relief line to the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks