Condensate Drain revisited: Plan Check before I fire up the torch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
This is a follow-up post to a few questions I had a two weeks ago: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?40689-Boiler-Condensate-Line-3-Questions-(pic)

Attached is a pic of what I worked out for a boiler condensate drain. Lower right corner is the drain inlet (just the ABS P-trap currently; I'll attach a short riser, an air gap and trap primer above the trap level).

Cast iron combo added to 3" waste line.
ABS vent transitions to copper and joins the W/D vent near the top plate.

Looking to see if anybody has any critiques of this arrangement before I lock it in place.

condensate_check.jpg

Speede541

Reaction score
Ok, here's one: I'm scratching my head wondering why I chose a combo instead of a sani-tee to connect to the 3" stack. Is this permitted because my 1½" line is already vented? I don't expect this is going to be a problem in actual use because the condensate line is just an intermittent trickle of water, but I'd like do it right.

Here's another: The trap is closer than 6" to the sill plate, but it IS 6" off the floor. If I understand the 6" requirement, it's to allow a pan to be placed under the trap in case it needs to be opened to be cleaned out, but is still this the case with solvent-welded ABS pipe that's never intended to be re-opened? If that's the intent, my ProFlex coupling is where the disconnect would happen, and it is 6" off the sill plate.

combo.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Nice pic of the seismic holddown. Folks in other parts of the country may not have seen the stuff we have to use here!

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The six inch requirement was initially so that you would have room to put the old fittings together,.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speede541

Reaction score
Yep, though that hybrid strap/hold down is a tall boy compared to the squat bracket it replaced. But this one gave me *just enough* clearance to get that trap in there.

So no comments on the combo fitting? The lack of response is causing me to this this might be OK.

Ok, how about this: "The vent shall be placed at least two pipe diameters (3") away from the wier of the trap."

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as the trap has its own vent, the combo or tee would both be acceptable. The "two pipe diameter rule" is sometimes a subjective decision and depends on HOW you do the measurement. In your case it is probably NOT two diameters away, because you appear to have some kind of "double street elbow" into the tee and also into the trap.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
As long as the trap has its own vent, the combo or tee would both be acceptable. The "two pipe diameter rule" is sometimes a subjective decision and depends on HOW you do the measurement. In your case it is probably NOT two diameters away, because you appear to have some kind of "double street elbow" into the tee and also into the trap.

Actually what he did was put the street elbow into the san tee instead of the trap bowl.

John

Speede541

Reaction score
Is that a no-no (switching up the street elbow into the trap? I did it to save space. Does that decision have any functional or code impacts?

As much as I don't want to do it, a sani-tee to replace the combo fitting will save me 1-3/4", so with it I can meet the x2 distance requirement.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks