Condensate drain advise

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveA.

Reaction score
Later this spring, we will be installing a new condensing furnace and matching AC unit. My dilemma is where to properly drain it. The HVAC equipment will be located in the basement and all of the waste lines for the house are either overhead or at eye level so a condensate pump will need to be installed.
I do have access to the tail piece of a 1st floor shower that I could tap into with a wye above the trap. It is on the other side of the basement but can be done.
Another option that is closer to the furnace is that I have a horizontal run of 2" ABS that has about 18" of clearance below the joists. Could I install a trapped standpipe and pump the condensate into that?
The old central AC was installed 30 years ago. I simply drilled a hole through the concrete floor just inside the footing and gravity fed the evap. coil water into the curtain drain I put in when we built the house. Never had a problem but I do not think that method would pass muster these days.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Because so many of of the condensate pumps on the market are unreliable, my preference would be to install a sink pump with a basin. Zoeller and Liberty both make some good systems that are ready to install.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/zoeller-115v-12-hp-drain-pump-package-z1050001/_/R-72358

104-0005-1.jpg

Last edited:

SteveA.

Reaction score
The laundry standpipe is located on the 1st floor and the HVAC equipment is in the basement.
I’m thinking my only options are to either tap into the tailpiece that drops down into the basement from the 1st floor shower or tap into a 2” waste line down there with an appliance wye and maybe an aav.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
A Little Giant VCMX-20UL condensate pump can pump 42 GPH at a 15-foot head, surely that's enough to reach your laundry standpipe.

SteveA.

Reaction score
A Little Giant VCMX-20UL condensate pump can pump 42 GPH at a 15-foot head, surely that's enough to reach your laundry standpipe.
To hit the laundry standpipe, I would have to run the drain line from one end of the house to the other, bust into a wall to run it up and in. I would think there are simpler alternatives.

mssonline2019

Reaction score
A condensate drain is a type of valve used to drain condensate. ... They remove condensate along with contamination from the system, preferably without losing excess compressed air and without the need to shut down the system.
Later this spring, we will be installing a new condensing furnace and matching AC unit. My dilemma is where to properly drain it. The HVAC equipment will be located in the basement and all of the waste lines for the house are either overhead or at eye level so a condensate pump will need to be installed.
I do have access to the tail piece of a 1st floor shower that I could tap into with a wye above the trap. It is on the other side of the basement but can be done.
Another option that is closer to the furnace is that I have a horizontal run of 2" ABS that has about 18" of clearance below the joists. Could I install a trapped standpipe and pump the condensate into that?
The old central AC was installed 30 years ago. I simply drilled a hole through the concrete floor just inside the footing and gravity fed the evap. coil water into the curtain drain I put in when we built the house. Never had a problem but I do not think that method would pass muster these days.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A condensate drain is a type of valve used to drain condensate.They remove condensate along with contamination from the system, preferably without losing excess compressed air and without the need to shut down the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks