Concrete shower pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

amateurplumb

Reaction score
Plumber has completed vinyl liner and drain, and now contractor wishes to put in shower pan using Quikrete straight concrete which will then be coated with hydroban along with Durock board walls. Should I worry about this versus mortar? Does it risk cracking?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I have not built a shower pan, or even a driveway.

I think concrete and mortar are similar, except the concrete has rocks. If the person pouring the concrete trowels the concrete properly, the rocks get pushed down away from the surface, and the surface of the concrete can be nice and smooth. Mortar has sand but no bigger rocks. So it does not need that working.

amateurplumb

Reaction score
Thanks - aside from it being unusual I was worried about it leading to cracking as opposed to mortar...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks