Concrete sewer line repair advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Norwest

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a house built in 1945 which is experiencing some sewer line issues. When I bought the house it was evident that a repair had been made on the sewer line as there was a new PVC cleanout in the front yard. Last winter we experienced a slow sewer drainage which became an issue as our very active sump pump drains in the sewer line. I tried to snake it but there was an impingement so I called a rooter person. They also had problems but were able to get though with a 1/2 blade. Called a second guy to have the sewer scoped and found that the previous owners only replaced the cleanout and a 2 ft section of pipe out of the foundation. One of the pipe sections about 4 ft down stream was partially collapsed which was causing the impingement. Called a number of sewer contractors and only one called me back a provided me a pricey quote and they were going to destroy my front yard and stone wall by bringing in a backhoe. I decided to DIY and have hand dug about 8' down to the break area. The broken section connects to a 3 way which leads to a gutter downspout so I am not sure how I can mate the new PVC to the bell of the 3 way as most repairs like this use a rubber Fernco type of coupling. Should I dig some more and replace the downspout 3 way with PVC and glue in short sections of PVC to facilitate connection via Fernco coupling? Even if I do this I will have issues connecting to the downstream section of concrete pipe as it will be a bell end and therfore too large a diameter for a Fernco coupler and would also be a area for debris to settle. Thinking I will need to use diamond saw or grinder to cut the bell end off downstream section of pipe. The remaining pipe to the sewer looks in OK shape with no significant root intrusion although there is some wearing on the bottom of the pipe with some aggregate beginning to show due to scouring. Is it possible to pour a thin slurry of hydrolic cement or other material down the line to patch/grout the worn channel along bottom?

Thanks,

Norwest

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Maybe call the "sewer guy" back now that you dug out the hole yourself and saved your yard and some money by doing the digging. Another idea - go to permit office and see if you can speak with one of the plumbing inspectors. perhaps he can advise you on the proper way to do things.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An eight foot deep ditch?
I hope you have it shored. If it were to do a sudden collapse, you wouldn't be in any shape to post more questions.

I don't do outside work, but Pioneer Plumbing does in the Seattle area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks