Concrete Filling

Users who are viewing this thread

mustang73

Reaction score
I have a 20x20 floor that was poured, but did not get leveled propelly. It has spots that are as much as 1/2" lower than other parts. I am considering just mixing conrete to add over the top. I am trying to find out, how I might do this. Would I want to mix my own, and go light on the aggreguate so that it will just fill the gaps. Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

Prashster

Reaction score
You might want to use SLC. Otherwise, you'll have to screed the concrete to level, which can be a little dicey.

Probably a little more pricey though; but worth the effort, IMHO.

If it's cost prohibitive or if the low spots exceed 3/4ish", you could patch with a fatter concrete mix (more sand) and then use a thin layer of slc on top to flatten. Maybe that's overkill.

Nevermind me, I'm just rhymin.

mustang73

Reaction score
More info

OK, I did try the SLC, but it dried so fast, and did not really level to well. And because the floor is so large I was hoping to not have to buy like 50 bags of stuff, and just mix up something, but I appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Prashster

Reaction score
Concrete will bond to clean, rough concrete. The younger the concrete, the better. If yr floor was just poured (within a month) you shld be able to add concrete on top after a decent washing. If it's older and has been sealed, you might consider scarifying the sfc.

Other than that, there's no trick. Just have to find the right mix that'll provide stability and won't crack, but still allows you to work it smooth.

You should throw yr question to JohnBridge. They're experts on mud/thinset/concrete, etc. and someone will guide you on the right prep/mix/procedure to use.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
you had problems with SLC once, and it could happen again. See what else the local store has. All the cement products are good; some don't harden for hours.

prashster addressed in his first post one thing that you haven't spelled out: how flat is flat? To suit your degree of perfectionism or good-enough-ism. How good is your trowel, or more accurately, how good is the human holding its handle?

Over at the site prashster mentioned, you might find in the Pro Forum archives a few mentions of patching and resurfacing mixes. But, a big caveat. Your question doesn't lead to a shower floor installation. The last time I looked, they told the average customer a simple story and didn't want to add nuance or "complexity". It was "deck mud, fat mud or SLC" only, in the General forum.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks