Concerns over grounding of copper DWV systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

RCbuilds

Reaction score
I'm removing and replacing several sections of copper DWV pipe in my home to rearrange a bathroom layout. Part of this work involves removing a 3' section of the existing 3" copper stack and replacing it with PVC, with the remaining CU stack still continuing through the roof. The rest of the stack is CU, transitioning to cast iron about two feet from the basement floor. I've never seen much info on grounding of DWV lines. Are there any concerns as to the removal of this section of metal pipe and its replacement with plastic? Thanks, in advance - you guys here are awesome!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a good idea to bond the copper pipe to ground. There's a subtle difference between grounding and bonding. An older house may have used a copper pipe as their electrical ground, but today, generally, they want a dedicated ground rod(s).

Grounding is for electrical...bonding is for safety from things like lightning strikes where your whole plumbing system could become electrified if it wasn't bonded to ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks