Concerns installing 1.6GPF in old house

Users who are viewing this thread

ocpilot

Reaction score
Installating a new toilet into a newly remodeled bathroom on a slab. Waste Plumbing is 40 years old cast iron. In general the performance of the toilets/drain plumbing has been pretty good without frequent plugging.

However, now that I must install (not by choice of course becaust that's all I can get) a 1.6 GPF toilet I'm concerned since I've been told it is possible with the age of the cast plumbing, it's likely I may start to see more frequent clogs/backup.

I'm not so much concerned with the performance of the toilet (as I'm understand they have come a long way in the last 10 years). My concern is the reduced amount of water moving transporting waste through the DWV system.

1) Should I be worried about this issue, or just accept it and take it like a man (i.e. get used to plunging and snaking).

2) Are there any retrofits or techniques available to up the water capacity of the tank?

Thanks,
Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In order to have enough head pressure, nearly all of the tanks have more water than the 1.6 gallons. If you hold the handle down, you release all that is in the tank ratherthan just pressing and releasing - where the flapper valve is designed to close at the appropriate time.

The newer toilets are designed to dump their smaller amount of water faster, so, if the pipes are installed correctly and you don't have problems now, you'll probably not have problems with a new one. Note, not all toilets are created equal - there are still some dogs that typically require two or more flushes to clear things out. Some are quite good. Terry has some reviews including some tables that indicate how much waste various models reliably flush. If you search a little, you'll find it.

ocpilot

Reaction score
Yes, I was looking at his reviews. Not so much worried about the toilet performance itself as with the reduction in overall volume of water flowing the DWV system.

I'm sure the piping was probably installed correctly, however 40 years of accumlation and cast iron rust has me worried.

However I think your comments on the better toilets dumping there water faster is probably helpful in the better toilets. Maybe I'll investigate a pressure flush model.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any of the high performance toilets will have good drainline carry.

I'm running 250 plus feet to the main line in the street where I live.
No problem!
The main part of the house was built in 1952 and the sewer line was added in 1962.

You can go pressure assist, but it's really no different than the G-Max or others like it. They both move 1.5/1.6 gallons of water at a good speed.

It's not like you changing the water into something magical when it gets into the toilet.

drain_line_carry2.jpg

The TOTO Drake is listed as the Gravity - 75mm (3" in) Flush Valve model above. Drainline carry is 80 feet.
3" pipe at a 2% slope.

More information on drain-line carry

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks