Concern over Plumbers Putty and CPVC/Plastic Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

autostadt

Reaction score
I just found out the previous owner used plumbers putty to connect the male CPVC ends to the plastic housing of an inline big blue water filter. What damage, if any, will this have on the fittings or filter? I know you shouldn't use plumbers putty for this type of application. Will the plastic and/or CPVC fail over time? The owner said it was installed about 6 months ago.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
So, they used plumber's putty rather than pipe dope or teflon tape? You sure it isn't pipe dope? Normally, you don't want petrolium products on plastic, don't know about cpvc. Plumber's putty is designed for drains, not for potable water use. Pipe dope, depending on type, might be okay. If plumber's putty, the pipe might get soft, and the putty might dry out, and things leak.

autostadt

Reaction score
Definitely putty (Oatey Plumbers putty to be exact)...they left it behind and I did ask the prior owner.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
putty

Plumber's putty is so thick and granular, that very little of it would have stayed on the threads when they were screwed together, so you probably have nothing to worry about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks