Computer Issue - Suggested It Is Electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

finvarra

Reaction score
I'm an electrical novice, so please bear with me. Here's my sad story:

I was using a self-built machine. Suddenly random USB disconnect sounds (the old windows DUH-DUH downward disconnect sound) started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). Two months ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again.

I have replaced or swapped out all my hardware, disabled all Windows power-saving settings, tested 3 different computers, been on several computer help forums, pretty much eliminated every computer-related fix Google (and several computer advisers) could suggest - and the same "disconnect" sound (or whatever it is) continues. It's definitely coming through the speakers b/c I can lower the volume. I get no hardware hiccops. Usually, the sound is the 2 tone Downward disconnect sound, but sometimes it just seems like 1 tone. The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all yesterday morning, then 3 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly 2 times in less than 10 minutes. There is just no pattern - no articular rise in electrical usage.

I'm thinking it must be some sort of electrical issue b/c I've connect the computer(s) in another part of the house... and never hear the noise. Unfortunately, the way my office is set up, everything is on the same circuit.

Right now, I'm using both a battery backup and a surge protector (both purchased since this issue arose). If there is some sort of electrical interference, shouldn't they shield it... or is there something else I can try (short of hiring an electrician to lay new lines)?

*I would appreciate ANY direction as this has been very frustrating. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect it has to do with one of your USB devices. Maybe mouse. Maybe keyboard.

You could try gently flexing the cable at the ends. You could try unplugging the mouse or keyboard, and see if the disconnects go away. Of course you will be limited in what you can do with just a mouse or just a keyboard connected, but you can still do a fair amount during this test.

finvarra

Reaction score
No, that's not it - wish it was that simple a fix. Early on, I replaced the mouse and swapped out a keyboard. I even used a bluetooth kb/mouse combo. No difference.

And I've used a program called USBDeview which logs all USB connects/disconnects. Nothing ever corresponds with the sound event.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you got that same symptom with two totally different computers -- your older machine and the NUC.

I would try booting into Safe Mode with Networking. See if the problem exists in that mode.

finvarra

Reaction score
Same symptom - three different machines. But - as I said in the original msg - no issues when I use the computers in another part of the house.

I have tried the Safe Mode. Problem is, no sound card in that mode (therefore, can't hear the sound which comes out of the speakers). And before you ask... I've even bought new speakers since this started...

finvarra

Reaction score
I think I've exhausted all possible computer-related issues.

My question is (and I really apologize for my ignorance), is there any way that sound can be created by an electrical issue. And if so, how can it be diagnosed/repaired?

Reach4

Reaction score
I like CyberPower CP850PFCLCD for $129.95 This is a sine wave type that will work with less tolerant loads.

Yes there are ways to look for power problems, but that could cost more than the cure. It is awfully nice to not have to stress about a power dip while writing a document.

One thing: it will not work if it is not plugged into a 3 wire outlet with a working ground. It checks. It refuses to work on a 2-wire power outlet.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
My first thought was a neutral or ground problem as Reach4 suggest. You need to get an outlet tester, there less than $10 at HD or Lowes but can be bought at any hardware store. Find the breaker at the main panel for the problem outlets and turn it off. Mark all of the outlets that have no power. Turn the power back on and check each outlet with the tester. If one reads bad you have a starting point.

Turn power off and open all the outlets on this circuit and check all connections. If the wires are pushed into the quick connect or some call stab-ins, I would remove all of them and wrap the wire around the screw terminals. While you're at it I would change all of the outlets on this circuit with a heavy duty 20 amp outlet ($3 each). If you look at the screw terminals there is a clamp under the screw to place the wire and not have to wrap it around the screw. Stab-ins are OK but since your computer equipment is a constant load and with a lot of gear the current draw can really add up.

If this is beyond your skill set then get an electrician but I do not think a new circuit is needed unless the electrician sees a need.

upload_2017-6-13_13-52-58.png
upload_2017-6-13_14-3-56.png

finvarra

Reaction score
Reach4 - I just bought this UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 1300VA) two months ago - after the issue arose. Shouldn't it be able to handle the load?

WorthFlorida - Inspecting/changing the outlets seems like a good start.

But again - could this cause such a sound/noise?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The UPS 1300VA is a good size but if the AC outlet is not at the right voltage or a bad (sometimes called a noisy ground) ground it can cause all kinds of problems. The old additive Pin=Pout.

Reach4

Reaction score
And I've used a program called USBDeview which logs all USB connects/disconnects. Nothing ever corresponds with the sound event.
OK. That seems meaningful.

Clearly you have done the things that would usually figure out the problem. Tell us about your sound system. Is it USB? Is it the only thing that got retained from the old system to the new? Is it powered by its own supply, and is that supply on the UPS?

I just bought this UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 1300VA) two months ago - after the issue arose. Shouldn't it be able to handle the load?
I was not sure if I needed a sine wave UPS, but I went with one.

Another idea... You can change the sound generated for different events. If you change the sound for a USB plug/unplug, I wonder if it will change the anomalous sound also.

finvarra

Reaction score
The sound system is AudioEngine5+ (again added after the issue started). It is connected to an AudioQuest - DragonFly Red USB DAC which connects to the USB in the back of the NUC (again added after).

The only thing that has been retained from the old system is the monitor - but I swapped that out and it made no difference. Also, bought a new HDMI cable.

And early on I turned off ALL Windows sounds... so this can't be a Windows issue. So the generated sound cannot be controlled or seemingly silenced.

Also, in the events viewer, nothing ever corresponds to the sounds.

So I looking for something that sounds *like* the double downward tone duh-DUH device disconnect sound (tho sometimes a single tone), comes through the speakers (b/c I can lower the volume on it), is totally independent of anything I may be doing (or not doing anything) at the time, and is completely random. It only happened a few times yesterday, but today occurred at least 10x in less than an hour and nothing since. The only thing that was happening out of the ordinary at that time was that a washing machine was running in another room (not the same circuit) - but it often happens when that isn't happening as well.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks