Compression valve under bathroom sink slips off of supply line...

Users who are viewing this thread

Kalissa k

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was replacing the bathroom sink shut off valves because they both started to drip. The hot water side I was successful with. But the cold water valve is not going well. The problem is that the nut on the copper supply line doesn't stay on the supply line. I don't know if I sanded the copper pipe down too much or if it was the plumbing grease I added but the whole valve and nut just shoot off the supply line now .. what might I have done wrong to cause this almost comical fail?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you remove an old compression valve and install a new one with all new parts?

If yes, did you cut off a portion of the copper stub out prior to installation of new valve?
-if so how much did you cut off? Compression connections, do exactly what they're named for, compress a brass ring onto the copper, and if someone like my brother tightened it on, may have compressed the copper signifigantly.

Did you use a tool to remove the old compression nut and ferrule? If so, which tool and did it perhaps deform the end of the copper stub out. If it did.. cut off the deformed portion and start on fresh tube.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you measure the OD of your copper pipe? Common would be 5/8 inch =0.625. A digital caliper is a good tool, and yes, I think a whole lot more people should have one.

A compression valve takes a lot of torque to install, and two not-small wrenches. Do not be afraid you are going to crush the copper pipe. You might need both longer wrenches and a really strong friend. The access to the pipe is often limited, and it is hard to apply a lot of torque at arms length.

You did use the new ferrule that came with the valve, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks