Compression valve corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

rmc115

Reaction score
Back for yet another plumbing issue. I have a compression valve that has apparently been leaking and causing some oxidation/corrosion for what seems like quite some time. I'm going to have my plumber come out to replace the valve, but I'm just wondering if this is something I should get on right away, or if I have some time at the risk of the thing blowing off. What do you guys think? image.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The connection does not have the correct solder Fillet. And the acid flux was not cleaned off.

The connection was overheated when soldered, and not enough solder.

Looks that way to me.

Good Luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you don't have water, don't worry about it. If you like, you can clean the pipe with water and a mild pan scrubbing pad. If there is a drip, that is different.

I am not a pro.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The connection does not have the correct solder Fillet. And the acid flux was not cleaned off. The connection was overheated when soldered, and not enough solder.

That is a pretty comprehensive diagnosis from just a simple picture. I guess I will have to study it for a couple of hours to see if I can see what you did.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
quote; The connection does not have the correct solder Fillet. And the acid flux was not cleaned off. The connection was overheated when soldered, and not enough solder.

That is a pretty comprehensive diagnosis from just a simple picture. I guess I will have to study it for a couple of hours to see if I can see what you did.

I guess I did not answer the question very well. Any pipe movement and it could leak more.

Who ever made that connection, they need more practice. And may have had the valve connected during soldering.

Nothing a bit of JB Water Weld can't fix. lol

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks