Compression shutoff leaking.. Help please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lithnights

Reaction score
I have just spent the last 30 minutes reading all the old posts that are similar to my problem but still am not sure of the best answer. Thus....

I recently installed a compression shutoff valve for my toilet. It seemed to be drip free for days until I bumped it a bit when I installed my toilet last night. Now I can't get the drip (one every couple minutes) to stop. I did not use teflon tape nor any other dope, sealant, oil etc. I have continued to tighten it up slightly trying to fix it to no avail but am wondering if I overtightened it. How would one know?

Thus, what is my best bet here? Loosen up the nut and put some oil on it, then reinstall? I will check to see if I crushed the ferrule but there's still a bit of tightening I could do to this thing so I doubt I did.

How tight do these things need to be? I recall reading finger tight then half a wrench turn? Sound right?

Thanks all!!!

Lithnights

Reaction score
Terry said:
Tighter than that.
I would crank it some more.
A little oil on the threads would help the nut go down tighter.

No worry about overtightening though??

It seems to be to the point where when I turn the nut, the whole valve wants to move. ie. I can barely hold the valve back with my other hand while I turn the nut. But at the same time, I can actually turn the entire valve (nut and valve as one unit) somewhat easily.. as if it's not that tight on the pipe. Is that normal?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the copper tubing has been squished too small, you may need to cut it back and find full size copper.

You can tighten them too tight, but finger tight then half a wrench turn is not going to cut it.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You sure can over tighten to the point that you will have to use a new supply pipe , nut and Ferrel.

Terry said it, use something on the Ferrel to lubricate the connection.

Finnegan

Reaction score
I agree with Terry, tighten some more before you concede defeat. If you remove the valve, you can lubricate with dishwashing detergent or whatever else floats your boat.

Lithnights

Reaction score
finnegan said:
I agree with Terry, tighten some more before you concede defeat. If you remove the valve, you can lubricate with dishwashing detergent or whatever else floats your boat.

I checked and the ferrel and copper look OK. I'm going to try the 3 in 1 oil that I have seen frequently mentioned....

We shall see...

Lithnights

Reaction score
lithnights said:
I checked and the ferrel and copper look OK. I'm going to try the 3 in 1 oil that I have seen frequently mentioned....

We shall see...

Worked like a charm. As always, thanks to all on this great forum.

Lithnights

Reaction score
Terry said:
Great,

Remember for the rest of you, one wrench on the shutoff and one wrench on the nut.

I think that may have been part of my problem. Had the wrench on the nut but just my hand on the shutoff. PUtting a wrench on the shutoff bolt made a huge difference. Once I realized that, I gave myself a slap for being so dumb in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks